Part 41

"Harry what the hell?" I heard Jeff ask. I didn't even have to look; I knew what was going on immediately, because people don't really change.

"Go put your clothes on." Jeff stated. "Why?" Harry asked. "Because, this isn't your house." He replied..

I kept my eyes on my phone, seeing him walk back into the bathroom.. A minute later, he walked out with just his shorts on. Which, hadn't been washed, probably in weeks. And they smelled horrible, even from across the room. I sighed, getting up. I pulled open one of my drawers, and grabbed a pair of Daniel's shorts, and a t-shirt.

I walked out, handing them to Harry, who was standing in the middle of the living room. "I already have clothes." He said. "Yeah, and they stink. Go change." I stated, pointing to the bathroom.

He sighed, walking back into the bathroom. He came back out, looking down at what I'd given him to wear. "Are these more of your ex's?" He asked. Jeff was listening intently, clearly having no sense of privacy.

"No." I answered. "So... Who's are they?" He asked. I knew that telling him the truth right now, would make things a lot worse. So, I had no choice but to lie to him. At least for the time being.

"My brother's." I lied, sitting on the couch. "Oh.. I thought you didn't have anything of his. I mean, except for that sweatshirt, which.. I took." He commented. I laughed, not having realized that he did take the only thing I owned of my brother's.

"Yeah, no. I um.. It's sorta complicated I guess." I replied, and he sat down on one of the other chairs. I glanced over at Jeff, not wanting him to know anything about my life. "Really?" He asked, looking at me. "Yes, really." I said. He sighed, getting up and going out onto the small porch that I have.

"So, what happened?" Harry asked, getting up and sitting next to me instead. I could tell his head was still bothering him, and the lights were obviously hurting his eyes.

"Well, he called me. Turns out, he lives here in France. So, I've seen him a few times." I explained. "Oh, wow. That's great." He said, turning so he was facing me more. I nodded..

There was a brief silence between us. "How's your headache?" I asked. He laughed. "It's pretty horrible.. I didn't know that Jeff was bringing me here to see you.. This is kind of embarrassing." He murmured. I looked over at him. "Yeah.. It's also really bad for you." I commented. "I know.. But, it was the only thing that helped. Even though.. I guess it didn't, 'cause I'm here." He said.

"Can I be blunt with you?" I asked. He nodded. I opened my mouth to speak, and was interrupted by knocking on the door. I glanced over at it, unsure who it could be, but got up anyway..

I walked over, checking first, and then opening the door. It was one of my neighbors. She only speaks French, and doesn't understand any English whatsoever.

We had a short conversation, all in French. She'd come over because she had heard Harry's screaming earlier, and wanted to make sure I was alright...

After she left, I shut the door and went back to the couch. "That was really nice." He said. I laughed, looking at him. "What was?" I questioned. "Your French." He said. "Oh, thanks." I replied..

"So.. You were gonna say something." He said. "Yeah.. Um. I don't really know where to start.." I commented. I felt him touch my leg, and looked over. He was tracing over one of my scars. I always hated when he did that. "Harry, could you just maybe not do that?" I asked. He pulled his hand back, nodding..

"Ok. Well, when I left, and quit that job.. It wasn't because of you, and all your feelings or whatever." I said, half-lying. I looked over at him, trying to read his expression. "So then.. Why'd you leave?" He asked, clearly confused..

"The job. I didn't like it anymore. It had become something I didn't want to do. Because even though I turned down the head-security job, it still felt like that's what I was doing.. And, I needed to get back to computers. Which, is what I'm doing now." I explained.. "It wasn't because of me?" He asked. "No, Harry. It wasn't." I said, still somewhat lying. But, Jeff was right. I needed to say whatever would make him feel better.

"Ok. Well. Can I ask you a question?" He asked. I shrugged, leaning back against the couch. "Now that you don't work for me, there's not really any excuses for you not to.. like me." He commented awkwardly.

"That's not a question." I stated. He sighed. "Brynn.. Why won't you give me a chance?" He asked.

I hesitated, not really knowing what to say at this point. How do I tell him no, without making him an alcoholic again? I mean, seriously. How many times does he need to hear me say it?

He reached out, his hand on my arm. That didn't bother me as much as it used to. Daniel sometimes does that when he sleeps. It took me a while to get used to it, but I guess it's okay now.

"Harry.. I don't know what you want me to say, if I'm being honest. You want someone who can commit to you, who will be in a relationship with you.. I don't do those things." I said. He was watching me.

"You're letting me touch you." He murmured. I glanced in his direction. "What?" I asked. "You never let me touch you. What changed?" He questioned, trying to figure me out. And, he might if he's smart.

A few more seconds passed. "Are you seeing someone?" He asked. I looked at him. "Harry, what? What gives you that idea?" I questioned. "You aren't denying it. Who is he?" He asked. "Chill out. Harry, I'm not seeing anyone." I stated. He studied my eyes for a moment, and relaxed a little.

"I'm just sleeping with him." I said quietly, not wanting to keep lying to him. He looked at me. "Why... I mean, what.." He couldn't form a sentence, and he pulled his hand away from my arm. I could see the pain behind his eyes, and realized I should've just kept lying to him..

I sighed. "Harry. If anything, I'm simply proving my point. Listen to me. And, I know it's going to be difficult. But, just.. I need you to know that it isn't just you.." I started, hesitant.. He had his head against his knees, his hands in his hair. "Don't. Please." He got out...

"Harry, I won't commit to him. Okay? He's asked me repeatedly to. But, I can't. I'm not dating him.. So, it isn't just you. I can't commit to anybody." I explained. He pulled his head up, briefly glancing at me. "You're having sex with him though.. You won't even let me touch you, and he's.." He groaned, standing up and pacing across the room.

Jeff quickly walked back in. He looked at Harry, and then at me. "I told you to fix it, not make it worse." He said, walking over to Harry. He was quietly saying something to him, trying to comfort him. "I can't. I can't.. No." I barely heard Harry say, and then he was on the ground...