Part 60

"What? Are you serious? Oh my god. Ok. Um, I'll be right there." He said, hanging up before I could say anything else..

I sat there for probably 15-20 minutes, before Harry ran into the room. "Where is she?" He asked, out of breath. "Getting an MRI. I guess it takes a while." I replied. He sighed, sitting down in the other chair. "How'd the apartment look?" I asked. He shook his head. "Bad. It's a mess." He said. I nodded. "Yep, that's how it was that morning. Pretty sure you caused most of that mess." I commented.

He shoved his hands through his hair, which was wet. But, he didn't say anything else. "Did you shower there?" I asked. He simply nodded...

• ** Harry's POV ** •

They brought her back in after another 20 minutes, and hooked her back up to the IV-drip and the heart monitor. After a few more minutes, the doctor came in, shutting the door behind him. "Well?" Jeff asked.

He seemed hesitant.. "It's not good." He said. I briefly glanced at Brynn, who looked just as she had before, but now without the breathing tube..

"What.. What does that mean?" Jeff questioned. "Well, we did the MRI to look at what's causing the murmur. And, it seems like her brother was right. It's very complicated, and it really is amazing that she's kept up the lifestyle that she has. It's a very rare condition; most cases only live for a few minutes after birth." He explained. "So, wait.. Is she gonna die because of it?" I asked. He looked over at me. "Oh, no. We went ahead and scheduled a surgery to repair the valves. If that's alright with you, of course." He replied..

Jeff seemed to hesitate a little. "Could she die in surgery?" He asked. "There is always that risk, yes. And it is heart surgery, so recovery won't be easy on her. But, I do have to recommend that she gets the surgery." The doctor explained. "And if she doesn't?" He questioned. Why was he even considering not letting her do it?

"There's no telling. She started breathing on her own. But her heart condition is unpredictable and highly unstable, and has likely been what's causing her to keep coding. I believe that if we don't proceed with the surgery, she won't make it out of this coma. But, again, that's just my assumption. She's been a very surprising patient." He said. Jeff looked over at me. He still seemed hesitant.

"Harry, there's a lot of risk with heart surgery." He commented. "We're doing it. You heard him, she'll likely die without it. I say we give-her her best chance." I replied. He sighed, but nodded. "Great. The surgery is scheduled for this afternoon. Our cardio surgeon is one of the best in France; he'll be in here for Pre-Op at around 3:00. Just let him know if you have any questions. Or, well.. He actually doesn't speak very good English.. I'll try to be here." He explained, before walking out of the room.

I ran a hand through my hair. "Wow so that's.. A lot." I commented, glancing over at Brynn. "She's a fighter, she'll pull through." He said, and I nodded. "She has to."

*** 3:07PM ***

We were still waiting for the surgeon, when the door opened. I looked up, confused since I was expecting the doctor. "Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt. I just.. Came to see her." He said. He spoke English well. I glanced over at Jeff, who seemed just as confused.. "Um.. Sorry, who are you?" He asked. "Oh, right. I'm Daniel." He replied. Jeff looked over at me.

"I guess maybe she didn't mention me." He commented quietly. "No, she sort of did.. Just wasn't expecting so many visitors today. Especially considering you also haven't been here before, and she's been in here for weeks." I said. He nodded. "No, yeah I knew that. I read about it in the news when it happened. She tends to be very private though, so I knew she'd want her space." He explained, walking over and standing next to her bed, touching her hair.

"So.. I'm sorry, you gave her a month of space? Did you even wonder if she was okay or not?" I questioned. Jeff sent me a look, and I knew he thought I was being too abrasive. Daniel glanced over at me. "No, I knew she was fine. She'd been texting me up until two weeks ago. Figured I'd said something that bothered her, so I gave her some space." He explained. "Uh huh. Right." I muttered..

He sent me a confused look, but then went back to looking at her. "So uh, what's the situation?" He asked. I opened my mouth to say something, and Jeff cut me off. "She's in a coma, and is getting heart surgery today." He stated.. Daniel looked over at him. "Wow, that's so great!" He exclaimed.

"Um. What?" I asked. He glanced in my direction, before turning back to look at Brynn. "No, not the coma thing.. She's been needing that surgery. She told me about her condition." He said. Jeff was watching me. I started to say something, when the surgeon walked into the room.....

He immediately started speaking in French, which neither Jeff or myself understood. But Daniel switched languages without hesitation, and they started talking about who-knows what..

After a few minutes of doing some tests and administering some kind of drug, the doctor left..

"So then.. You speak French." Jeff commented awkwardly.. Daniel glanced over at us. "Yeah. He basically was just saying it would take about six hours, and that he'd update us every-two during the surgery. And some other stuff for after." He said, sitting down in the chair next to her bed. He was holding onto her hand..

"Okay. Well um. Other stuff like what?" I asked, annoyed that he was touching her. "Just that her recovery wouldn't be easy, and that there was some risk of going through with it. Stuff like that." He replied, not bothering to look at me. I sighed, shoving my hands through my hair and standing up. "Harry—" Jeff started, and I cut him off. "Nope. Nope. I'm leaving. I can't be here right now. I'm going back to her apartment, and you can call me when her surgery is over." I said, glancing over at Brynn.

I hesitated, not really wanting to leave her, before I turned and walked out of her room.......