Scene X: Doubt

They said nothing in the car on the way. He knew she didn't want to be bothered but he somehow was still happy that she was there. Glancing over at her every so often, they soon arrived at the restaurant. Being escorted to their table, she sat back fumbling her necklace and casting her gaze to the side, thinking.

"You know, I'm-"

"Why did you say that?" He sat up straight, his smile disappearing from sight as he put his full attention onto her. She sensed his curiosity without looking at him.

"That I'm a blessing.. and that you think you're so lucky to have me in your life.." He now sat back, smiling. He opened his mouth to speak, but she beat him to it. "Why would you ever say that to me - a total stranger?" He felt a sharp pain in his chest that was identified as her pain and distrust in him. He knew he had only the right thing to say and only one chance to say it, otherwise she may walk away from him forever. The silence bit at the air for a moment before he finally opened his mouth.

"Because I meant it." All went silent for a moment, because at that moment, her eyes met his.

"I meant every single word I've ever said to you thus far. You may not see it, but you have a sparkle about you, something so intangible, yet everyone wants it. And I understand that you may be short with me because of the people that have taken advantage of you by trying to steal it and failed, but just know that I am trying to attain it in such a way that will be right for you." They maintained eye contact for what felt like a lifetime, yet she couldn't help but to feel a bit threatened by his seemingly sincere persona.

'Am I being stupid? Should I trust him? What am I doing? I need to get some air. Get out of here! Get out!'

Narrowing her eyes, she watched him drop whatever hope he had left. "Of course.." She growled before getting up to go to the ladies room or outside.. Whichever was closer would be fine by her.

She saw the sign for the ladies room, which was right next to the exit, and decided to go in. Though, just as she was about to turn into the hallway, she felt a hand wrap around her wrist. Turning around, her back soon becoming well acquainted with the wall as her eyes recognized the form in front of her. "Why are you-?"

"Just hear me out." He sighed. "I really don't want you to be upset with me. I-.. I get it. I made a promise and you're upset because I almost couldn't keep it, but for right now, can't we just be happy that we're here? That I'm here with you and enjoy each other's company?"

"Did you seriously just-?"

"Look, I.. I highly value you. You're different than what I'm used to seeing and encountering everyday. I just wanted to make sure that you didn't leave, because it really scared me for a moment... I'm always left behind when I chase things, and I know that you get scared when things chase you. But I'm asking you, just this once to take a chance with me. Relieve me of my fear, and in return, I will relieve you of yours. I promise I will never intentionally hurt you. Just think about it.. And if you still want to go home after this, then at least let me take you. It'd kill me to know that I let you walk all the way back home alone. There's a lot of crazy things out there that I don't want hurting you." He let go of her before taking a step back. "That's all I have to say. Excuse me."

It killed her even more to see him trudge back sadly to his seat. She just came to get some air and process her thoughts.. She didn't expect any of that.. All she wanted was to be able to receive his emotions without feeling threatened.

That was all the breathing was for. But now, perhaps she sees that she has hurt him even more than he has hurt her. And perhaps maybe she should take a chance. Even if it means feeling a little scared in the beginning.

'If he can feel that I am worth it, then I guess I should try to feel it too..' She sighed before nodding to herself and walking back to where he was. She refused to sit down, and just grabbed a hold of her coat. His intense stare was making it harder for her to say what she had to say.

"I don't think we should be together for today.. It's really late and.." She stopped as soon as she saw him stand up and throw on his coat without a word.

As soon as he turned his back to leave, he quickly muttered the words "Then let's go." so sadly that had to stop him.

"I-.. I think that since there's just a lot of tension and it's already like 11 o'clock, we should wait to reschedule it for another day.." He stopped in his tracks. "Is tomorrow good for you?" He turned around to face her. "It's my day off, and-"

"I won't be free.." She expected that. She felt that she had hurt him enough to deserve that from him. Nodding, she threw on her coat and grabbed her things. "But please stop by to see me." Looking up at him, she saw him smile and returned the favor.

Out stretching a hand towards her, she briefly hesitated before taking it as they walked out together.