Friend - Ideally Love

"Love is never as easy as it sounds, Sue. And you already know the fact that love is not guaranteed to bring you happiness - maybe you happen to know that pain all too well.." He trailed off, gazing at the woman in front of him. "And I understand you. I guess I should, since I'm your friend. I understand the pain of being in love and having that love not returned. I also know the pain of being in love and that love hurting you. Maybe not in the same ways that you have, but trust me when I say I've been there."

His eyes were serious. She could tell that he meant every word. Sitting back in his chair, he relaxed his body a little without losing sight of her eyes. "But you know something? Despite all the pain and everything else, I know that I could have never lived with myself if I had never tried to reach out to the woman I love in the first place."

It felt like an eternity - his gaze. It seemed as though that at the right moments, he himself could stop time to make her fall into the pool of her rushing thoughts that confused her more with each passing moment.

I know he wants to teach me how to swim, but I.. She sighed to herself in her head just as the waiter came back with their drinks.

"And here you both are - 2 waters."

"Thank you." Sue smiled, taking her drink.

"And have you decided on what you'll be having yet, miss?" She felt even worst than before, knowing that her friend was paying despite what she had said. It just didn't feel right. Noticing her mind being stuck, Brian spoke up.

"She'll have the same thing I'm having, but add in chicken alfredo and some mashed potatoes for her."

"Alright, then." He said, writing it down on his notepad.

"Oh, and please do bring a lemonade for her, if you will."

"Will that be all?"

"Yes sir. Thank you."

"I'll be right with you shortly with your food." And off he went.

"Why did you do that?" Suzy asked.

"Well one, because I know you. Two, I do not want to see you passing out on set from a lack of food."

"But you litterally just ordered a full course meal and we only have like forty-five minutes left to eat!"

"You're a vacuum. You'll be fine."

"Shut up." She scowled at him, tossing her napkin at his face. Chuckling, he set the napkin down on top of her hand, allowing his hand to stay there for a moment as he watched her reaction.

"You know, Sue," He began, sliding his hand away from hers as he sat back again in his chair. "I'm really glad to be doing this film with you. And I want you to know that whatever happens afterward, I am still your friend."

She nodded with a small smile before allowing it to slowly fade. Furrowing her eyebrows together, she sat in the stiff silence with her lips in her mouth and her gaze down at her hands. After a moment in deep thought, she spoke up.

"How.. how would you picture us.. together?" She struggled.

"As a couple?" His voice answered. Hiding and biting her lips even more, she nodded ever so slightly. With a smile, he began. "Ideally, I could see us being very happy. In my world, we would be just as close as good friends, but our bond would be stronger."

Because of love.. She thought.

"Of course, we would have some problems here and there, but who doesn't? We fight now and we're just best friends. I just feel that if we were honest and open to each other, we could get though things more smoothly. For example, I would want to know your deepest fears so that I would know how to never hurt you..." Gazing at her, he quickly removed his Rose tinted glasses to bring himself back down to earth. "And.. I would try my hardest everyday to make sure that nothing changes between us - but if it does, it will only be for the better." He grinned to himself. "In my mind, we would be the very best of friends and the strongest, most passionate of lovers."