Eyes Can Feel

She thought that if she pulled his hands away from her body and kept him at a safe distance that she would be able to focus on preparing the food properly. But to her surprise, she couldn't let it leave her mind that Brian was right there watching her cook the entire time. Her face fell hot as she felt his eyes dance about her body, so she bit her lip to keep herself sane which only half worked. She was nearly done with cutting the vegetables when the knife slipped and cut her hand.

"Ah dammit!" She sighed to herself, immediately running the wound under some water which only seemed to sting even more. She soon jumped at the feeling of a hand on her waist and hand. She had been so wrapped up in trying to look perfect for Brian that she hadn't even noticed when he jumped up to see about her wound. Gently, but firmly taking her hand from underneath the faucet, he frowned as he saw it start to bleed again.

"I'll be right back." He quickly returned with his first aid kit and did his best to take care of it for her. "You should be more careful with the knife. I told you that you were holding it wrong.."

"No you didn't." Brian rolled his eyes.

"Apparently, someone wasn't listening.."

"When did you say that?"

"When I was standing here with you. I guess that makes sense as to why you didn't reply if you didn't hear me.." He frowned, raising his eyebrows. "I thought it was just you being stubborn." She scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"Give me that." She failed in trying to take the peroxide away from him. "Brian, you don't need to be doing this right now. You need to be resting."

"I will.. After making sure that this is taken care of.." She rolled her eyes with a sigh and a smile.

"I can't believe this. Here I am supposed to be the one to be taking care of you and here you are right now taking care of me instead." He chuckled, put and the band aid on.

"I guess that is a funny twist. But," He looked up from taking care of her hand and into her eyes. "It's a rather nice one."

To her, his words were whispers. The sweetest sounds on earth. She felt her heart twitch as she gazed up at Brian. She, in this very moment, could want nothing more than to kiss him. But in realizing this, she furrowed her eyebrows as she bit her lip and looked down before turning away from him. "Thank you, Brian." Nodding to himself, he made his way back over to his seat, folding up the chair and taking it with him. "Where are you going?" She asked.

"To rest." He shrugged. "I'll be in my room."

~

Once the food was done, she brought it up to him. "Brian, I brought you some food. You up?" She said, knocking on the door.

"Yeah. You can come in." Upon entering, she immediately locked eyes on the thing that she hadn't seen in a very long time.

"You still have that?" She smiled, setting the food down.

"What? This?" He said, glancing down at the guitar. "What reason would I have to get rid of it?"

"True, but I gave that to you so long ago. I would've thought that it got lost in the process of moving or something."

"Oh, no way." He shook his head in disgust at the thought. "It means too much to me. I would always make sure that it was packed safely during my travels. Right in the front seat of my car."

"It's nice to see that you still play it." She smiled fondly. He patted the spot next to him.

"Come sit. I'll play something for you."

"Only if you eat first. I can't have you passing out like that again." It was his turn to smile.

"Sure." Taking a sip of his drink, he set the guitar down and began eating. "You really do make the best food."

"Why thank you." She grinned, leaning back into the headboard.

"Just be careful next time. I don't want you losing any fingers and finding it in my soup." He said, sipping more of the soup.

"Hey! I'm not reckless! I just couldn't focus!" She froze upon realizing what she had just said and began praying that he wouldn't follow up with the question. That one word that could lead to a multitude of possibilities. Because for right now, for her, things were fine and wanted nothing to change.

He sat there quietly staring at her as he finished his soup. It was a quiet and tense few minutes before he finally spoke, but it told him everything that he needed to know. "Do you like where we are right now?"

"I.. Well, yeah. I guess so. Why?"

"So that means you believe that we're in a good place?" He seemed to state.

"Not necessarily. I just think that since we're on the right path to being in a good place that it holds potential to be great again. So I guess you could say I'm more optimistic than anything." He nodded.

"Okay.." he said, putting his bowl down. "So, in knowing this, you must know something else. I'm not happy with where we are right now. I don't feel like we're so much best friends as we are just trying to do our best not break any eggs as we walk on eggshells. I can't talk to you, you don't talk to me and.." he sighed. "Look. Since we have the opportunity to fix this, and you say that you want this to work out, then let's take this chance to discuss everything. And I mean all doors are open - including windows. Can we do that for the next two days?"