4: Wolves in California

That night, Briella sat in her bed reading everything she needed to catch up in her classes

That night, Briella sat in her bed reading everything she needed to catch up in her classes. Dinner was awkward because it felt like the Whittemore family didn't usually eat together at the table. So it must have been a new thing because she was now there. Probably to save face or something like that.

A notebook was next to her as she took notes with her pen, trying to figure out what she had just read. Briella jumped when the pen jolted and ink spilled over her hands, and all over her paper. "Fucking damn it..."

She got up with her hand lifted in the air to be careful of getting any ink on the floor. Briella quickly moved into the bathroom, which was connected to her bedroom. It was weird having her own personal bathroom. Washing as much of the ink off as possible, but it left a stain, she moved back into her room wiping it clean.

Her head moved up to see that Derek was standing in her room, she let out a curse and stepped back into the wall. Briella's mouth dropped open but a glare formed as well, "What-Why the hell?"

"What do you know?"

Briella knew her heart was beating rapidly because this guy snuck into her room and she already knew what he was so that wasn't helping. "I'm sorry?"

"In the woods. You whispered something you knew I'd hear."

"What-" Briella's eyes instinctively went over to the door that led into the hall, "What are you talking about?"

Derek easily caught what she did and stepped in front of the door, "You know what I mean."

"No, I really don't."

"If you didn't-" His voice was low and slow, keeping his eyes trained on her, "Then why haven't you screamed for help yet?"

Swallowing, Briella was about ready to step back into the bathroom and lock the door behind her, "I make a lot of comments under my breath, you'd have to elaborate for me."

Her sarcastic comment only seemed to make Derek even angrier than he already was, or how he usually was. He advanced towards her and she stepped to the side where the bathroom was. But he grabbed the door and held it open. "You know what comment."

Briella was holding the door and still trying to push it shut, despite Derek easily keeping it open with his strength. "Get out of my room."

"You're not exactly in the position to be making demands."

"Neither are you." Briella shot right back at him, releasing the door which made Derek throw it open, causing the door knob to slam loudly against the wall, "What was that thing you said about making noise and yelling for help?"

Derek heard from another room someone asking what that noise was, his eyes focused back on Briella, "You know something, and I plan to figure out what it is."

"Good luck with that." Briella stepped closer to him, trying to be intimidating or at least show she wasn't as afraid of him as he thought. Even if it was just a show, since her heart was ready to jump out of her chest, "Now get the fuck out."