Momentary Paradise

"It's gorgeous..." Se-ri whispered in awe, tracing her fingertip over the cut edges of the diamond. "It's perfect, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi."

It wasn't anything flashy by Yoon Se-ri's usual standards.

Sized somewhere around a 0.6-0.7ct, her engagement ring probably cost a fraction compared to the bulk of her accessories back in Seoul. But what made it special, was that it was Ri Jeong Hyeok's choice of a representation of a promised lifetime together for her.

To Se-ri, there was no other accessory that she would love as much in this lifetime.

On the way back from the piano bar in a taxi, Jeong Hyeok had admitted that he was late in meeting her at the Town Hall area due to ring-shopping.

He was initially unable to find anything suitable for Se-ri, until he chanced upon this ring shortly before he was due to meet her.

When she questioned the reason behind his choice of design, it was yet another rush of warm, fuzzy emotions that she got.

"A solitaire diamond, because you are always shining bright in your own way. Clean, straightforward, while commanding attention. There is no need for anything else to bring out your beauty and confidence. I thought this was the most suitable for you."

"Thank you..." She had bashfully replied, not knowing what to say in the face of his sincere compliments.

He shook his head, wrapping his arm around her shoulders to draw her close to him such that her head was leaning in the crook of his neck.

"Thank you for saying yes."

"You were very nervous, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi." Se-ri pointed out with a teasing smile, her eyes on the road ahead. "You had those 'I'm so worried' eyes."

"Who wouldn't be?" He sounded incredulous, just like how he did when she used to tease him about falling in love with her. "Especially in...our situation. You have all the right to reject a proposal from a man whom you won't meet on a regularly basis."

It was Se-ri's turn to be genuinely incredulous.

Pulling away from the contact, she asked, "After all we've been through together, do you think it is even possible to not be with you?"

"Well..."

"I can only be with you, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi. It is not even a choice. It is a need."

"Even if we were to meet once a year...or less?" He asked quietly, reaching for her hand.

Se-ri nodded, still keeping her eyes on the road as the taxi drove on. "You're worth it."

She knew he would be smiling bashfully to himself at this point.

"If you have the courage to propose to me with full knowledge of our circumstances, why wouldn't I have the same confidence in accepting?" That was the CEO in Se-ri speaking. "I don't think I love you any less than you love me."

"And you should know very well, of all people, that I've practically died once back at Sigriswil Bridge. I was ready to let it all go. When your heart and mind have once sunken into an abyss that deep, nothing else fazes you anymore." She continued quietly, turning to regard him. "If anything, this love keeps me alive. You keep me alive, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi."

He nodded. He would never ever allow her to come close to feeling so despondent again.

"When it comes to someone who means so much..." Se-ri gave him a warm, brave smile. "Distance means very little. If we could cross paths so many times in the past without any form of planning or knowledge, I think Fate will continue to be kind to us."