Lucky Seven

Day 7, Friday.

There was nothing lucky about this seven, Se-ri thought, as she realized how a week had already flown by.

Just like that, day by day, she had already spent a week in Jeong Hyeok's company.

It meant that half of their time together had gone by. How was it possible that time just slipped by like this? Back in Seoul, one week could feel achingly long at times.

Was she supposed to think of the current situation as half-full, or half-empty? She mused.

Likely the latter, for the all-too familiar stirrings of loneliness were once again creeping into her mind. Honestly, she didn't have the capacity for false positivity to fool herself with.

With this upcoming separation, who knew when they might meet again? There was no guarantee to anything for now.

Sitting across her at the dinner table was none other than the man who held her heart, mind and soul.

He was quietly eating, occasionally stealing glances at her in between bites of Zürcher Geschnetzeltes.

"Is the food not to your liking?"

Se-ri shook her head, "It's actually really good. I'm enjoying it."

That wasn't a lie, the famous veal stew at the legendary restaurant Kronenhalle was excellent.

This restaurant used to be a meeting place for world-renowned artists, some of whom would pay their bill with art pieces they had created. With works by Chagall, Picasso, and Miró hanging on the restaurant's walls, it was a unique experience indeed.

Jeong Hyeok extended his hand in her direction, wrapping his fingers around her smaller hand.

"Something is bothering you. What is it?"

"I was just thinking about...us."

The reply caught Jeong Hyeok slightly off-guard.

"What about us?"

She placed her fork down.

"One week has already gone by..." Se-ri said softly. "When...and how...shall we meet again?"

His eyes softened at hearing her voice her concerns.

She continued, "I know it seems like a lot to ask, but after the next week, are we going to go back into the routine of endless waiting, without knowing when and how we can see each other again..?"

He was silent for a moment, eyes fixed in a downward gaze at nowhere in particular in the distance between them.

Her sadness was literally radiating off in waves; she looked so forlorn, and such were times when he couldn't help but wish he was of a different nationality.