A new beginning

2.30am, 11 November
Gangnam, Seoul

"Jagiya. How are you feeling?"

"Yeobo. You've asked me at least ten times in the last twenty minutes." Se-ri's patience was wearing thin; she was equally jittery herself, and Jeong Hyeok's relentless asking was getting on her nerves.

Obviously she was alright; the baby was still in her, she was sitting in the passenger seat of the car doing practically nothing as Jeong Hyeok drove.

"I'm sorry, please don't get mad. Remember, always maintain good spirits." Jeong Hyeok placated, as he visually checked the GPS for what seemed like the 100th time for directions to Yulje Medical Center.

"Yes, yes, yes."

They were on the highway, rushing to the hospital.

Earlier, Se-ri's waterbag had started leaking; it came as a complete surprise when she had been sleeping at around 11pm.

She recalled tossing and turning to find a comfortable position to rest, not that she had successfully found any in the last three weeks, only to realize that her panties had been soaked through with warm liquid.

Initially dismissing it as discharge, the heavily pregnant mother-to-be had put on a sanitary pad, only to awake two hours later with it fully soaked.

At thirty nine weeks gestation, Jeong Hwan was due to arrive any time.

This should be it, she realized.

"Yeobo, wake up. Yeobo!" She had shaken Jeong Hyeok awake from his slumber.

Sleepily, Jeong Hyeok yawned and rubbed his eyes. "What..."

"I think I'm going into labor."

"...mmm...good, that's good."

"I said, I am going into labor." Her voice was louder this time

"What??"

Se-ri had never seen a person leap up so quickly from a bed in her entire life.

All traces of fatigue vanishing in that instant, Jeong Hyeok announced, "Get dressed. We are going to the hospital right now."

The heiress chuckled. "It's not that urgent. I think I have time for a shower."

"No. We go now."

"But-"

"Now."

So that was how the couple found themselves on the road at 2.30am, rushing to the hospital.

Typical of Jeong Hyeok, their hospital bag had already been packed and stowed away in the car boot.

"Have you informed Dr. Yang?"

"Yeah, I sent a message to the hospital's 24-hour helpline, they should have informed him. I hope."

Professor Yang Seok-hyung, assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Yulje, was Se-ri's doctor since her return from Switzerland.