Letters from the North

Day 6, Thursday.

It was a relatively uneventful day for Se-ri, with Jeong Hyeok being mostly out for work. Inwardly, she bemoaned the lost time between them, but work had to come first.

Earlier in the morning, out of curiosity, she had asked Jeong Hyeok what he would be busy with.

"Masterclasses." He had replied simply.

Ooh. She wasn't extremely musically trained, but Se-ri knew what masterclasses were.

"Oh dear, have you been practicing enough, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi? I heard it can get quite stressful, since the teacher would be commenting on your playing and all?"

"Ahh. I think you're mistaken." He replied slowly. "I'm the one commenting on the playing."

Oh wow.

Not knowing that Jeong Hyeok had been at competitor student level back during his Switzerland school days, actively helming piano recitals, and performing with multiple orchestras, Se-ri had clearly underestimated him.

Now, she was a total fan girl.

"Omo. You're beyond impressive, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi. Wow, wait...that means you can perform at orchestral levels...? I'd really, really love to see you play live in a concert hall one day."

"You'll get the chance for sure." He smiled, before narrowing his eyes slightly at her. "I did tell you back in Seoul that I was hoping to pick piano up again."

If he could, he would play for her forever.

She was the only audience that truly mattered.

"I didn't think you were that good," She admitted, feeling all the more self-conscious. "No wonder you advised me against claiming that I could play Für Elise without the music score."

He chuckled inaudibly, patting her on the head. "I was hoping to save you from some embarrassment around others."

Giving him a mock reproachful look, Se-ri muttered. "Umm thank you then."

"Just to share with you," Jeong Hyeok tried to conceal the amused, smug smile on his lips. "I could play the full version of Für Elise at 9."

"Why you-" Se-ri smacked him playfully, as both laughed. "Stop bragging."

Now at what was deemed professional level, Jeong Hyeok had been assigned the role of teaching North Korean conservatory students, and to develop more extensive music coaching programs for the DPRK.

It was with those objectives in mind that he was visiting for two weeks - attending exposure lectures in Piano Pedagogy and shadowing his university professors' master classes, apart from participating in the Lucerne festival, into which Se-ri had put in a considerable amount of monetary support.

If all went well, this could potentially be an annual affair, especially if he retained his role as mentor to North Korean students, and as the resident pianist of the DPRK State Symphony Orchestra. This would be his best bet in keeping Yoon Se-ri in his life for now.

For the heiress with unlimited cash at her disposal, it was all about creating opportunities and borrowing time.

Currently sitting at the terrace of the Lake Side, a seafood restaurant famed for spectacular views of the Zürichhorn, Se-ri was enjoying an idyllic lunch.

Jeong Hyeok had passed her a small envelope earlier, suggesting that she could take a look at it during her free time.

Opening up the small envelope, her eyes softened and her lips were pursed in a flat line at the rush of nostalgic emotions as the first line of handwriting came into view.

"Seri-dongji, how have you been? I've been well."

The handwriting was large, almost childish; just exactly like the person who wrote it.
Small in stature, but with a huge, loving heart.

"Eun Dong..." Se-ri whispered softly, eagerly scanning her eyes across the written lines.

"It has been three years since we parted ways. I sincerely hope you are living well and thinking of us too. I hope you have made a full recovery, and that your injury isn't bothering you any longer. You will always be the big sister I never had. I will always be thinking of you. - Geum Eun Dong"

This sweet, sweet boy. Se-ri closed her eyes, fondly recalling his bright boyish smile and adorable expressions.

 Se-ri closed her eyes, fondly recalling his bright boyish smile and adorable expressions

Then it was Kim Joo Meok. Se-ri couldn't help but chuckle at the way he started his message.

"People who love each other eventually meet. No matter how far you go, love returns in the end."

Of course, Stairway to Heaven. Honestly, Joo Meok was such a sweet soul, who would surely be a fantastic boyfriend to a lucky girl one day.

"If you are reading this, I am sure love has returned to you, Se-ri dongji. Please take good care of our captain, he missed you very badly, even if he doesn't show it. The rest of us are doing well, and I have just managed to finish watching Goblin. It was very good. Stay happy and healthy, and know that I am always wishing for your happiness - Kim Joo Meok"

Pressing the letter close to her heart, Se-ri softly whispered, "Thank you. I wish you all the happiness in the world too."

Further down the letter was a very short message, undoubtedly from Mr Handsome himself.

"Se-ri dongji. I hope you are healthy, and take care of yourself always - Park Kwang Beom."

For someone that cool, this is probably the longest message he could manage.

"Thank you, Park Kwang Beom-ssi."

Finally, penning his greetings in handwriting that resembled chicken scratch, was none other than...

"Woman. It seems like you are alive and kicking. I have warned him against it, but alas, you have done an excellent job at bewitching our comrade Captain Ri, for him to fly over to Switzerland to see your annoying face."

Se-ri rolled her eyes in amusement and mock exasperation.

"I approve of the new Seri's Choice shampoo. It is making my head more fragrant than ever. I guess it is a good thing that I did not bury you back then in the mountains, so you can continue making shampoo and brag about how much meat you eat. You should make body wash for men next. Live well in your capitalistic world, woman - Pyo Chi Su"

This has got to be the best he could manage, Se-ri chuckled, fully aware that the foul-mouthed Pyo Chi Su meant well.

There was another small note in the envelope, written by none other than the most soft-spoken and kind-hearted Jeong Man Bok.

So he was living well in Pyongyang, with his wife Myeong Sook and the adorable Woo-Pil too. Se-ri couldn't be happier for him; if anyone deserved a peaceful life, it was this man.

Raising her hand to request for pen and paper from the restaurant's waiter, Se-ri slowly penned her response to the group of North Korean friends whom she had grown to care so much for.