Family Ties

July
Seoul, South Korea

The weather had turned extremely warm, typical of northeast Asian summers.

Yoon Se-ri found herself at her parents' mansion on a Sunday night, having a Spanish dinner put together by their housekeepers and personal chefs.

The chilled gazpacho felt so soothing; it certainly was perfect for a muggy summer night.

Maybe the food was really excellent. Or maybe it was the company that made it all better.

Regardless, Se-ri was grateful.

They still had a long way to go in their relationship, but at least, there was no animosity lingering in the air.

Furthermore, her stepmother, oldest brother and sister-in-law have played a huge role in helping her tide through the initial raw pain of separation.

Tonight, everyone was relaxed, cordial, and that was good enough for this family.

It was sad to note, but without Se-hyung and Sang-ah in the picture, things had really changed for the better in the Yoon household.

"Hye-ji, you've barely been eating since earlier on. Is the food not to your liking?" Han Jeong-yeon asked, wondering what was wrong with her usually chatty and cheerful daughter-in-law.

"Umm...we actually have something to announce." Hye-ji slowly said, nudging her husband.

"Oh! Me? Okay, okay...ready....here we go," Se-joon said dramatically. "Hye-ji and I are going to be parents!"

Eyes widened on three other faces at the table, before cheers erupted in the next second.

Se-ri was elated; Se-joon and Hye-ji surely deserved this. She knew that they had been trying to expand their family for years without success, so this was a wonderful piece of news.

She would never tell anyone else this, but she genuinely loved how there was not a shred of unhappiness or jealousy that she was feeling over her sister-in-law's pregnancy.

Mentally, she was getting better. Step by baby step, she had regained the capacity to be happy for others, without harping on her own misfortunes.

Leaning over to give Hye-ji a hug while congratulating both parents to-be, Se-ri felt like she truly belonged.

She is part of this family, relying on their strength in times of agony, and sharing their joy.

"I can't believe I am going to be a grandfather!" Yoon Jeung-pyeong exclaimed in joy, while Han Jeong-yeon fussed over her daughter-in-law, saying things like how Hye-ji should not have had cold soup.

Se-ri smiled. She had taken a long while, but at the end of all the troubles in the past, she is part of a family which completely had the potential to be a functional, respectful and happy unit.