Seollal

Late January
Lungern

"Ohhhhh that's nasty." Se-ri muttered as she pulled out fermented halves of Napa cabbage from an onggi, or a traditional kimchi vat.

Mindful not to get kimchi sauce all over her kitchen countertop as it merrily dripped from the cabbage, Se-ri placed the kimchi on a chopping board

"Okay, please turn out yummy this time!" She muttered adorably.

The heiress deftly chopped the fermented vegetable into bite-sized pieces before serving them on a small plate.

"Here you go! Second attempt

"Here you go! Second attempt. Honest reviews please." Se-ri gently placed the plate in front of Jeong Hyeok, who was waiting with a pair of chopsticks.

Waiting with bated breath, she watched as the pianist took a generous mouthful. Her first attempt at making Napa cabbage kimchi had been a spectacular disaster, with it turning out cloyingly sweet.

Chewing slowly, he nodded, humming an appreciative "mmmm".

"How is it?" Se-ri asked excitedly, leaning forward with both hands on the table. "Am I like the perfect Korean domestic goddess or something?"

"Perfect, to me. Korean, for sure. Goddess...yes," Jeong Hyeok replied, watching his fiancée's reaction as he deliberately teased.

"Domestic...I'm not too sure about that."

"Hey! You're no fun, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi." Se-ri scowled, scrunching her nose up at him, before both laughed.

"Well on a serious note, it's really good. Much better than the first time. Though a little bit too spicy, so it's a 9 out of 10." Jeong Hyeok commented, before picking up another piece with his chopsticks and popping it into his mouth.

"Sorry, South Korean here."

Typically, North Korean cuisine is less spicy than their southern counterpart, which is yet another small difference that they had to work around in their lives together.

Earlier last month, they had a Samyang spicy ramyeon eating competition between the two of them in their living room.

Jeong Hyeok couldn't understand the hype over Samyang, or why Se-ri would actually join an online shopping spree with two other South Koreans based in Interlaken to share a carton of the noodles.