Ri Jeong Hwan

Mid-July
North Korea

It had never crossed their minds in their wildest dreams, that this was how they would find out that their only living son had left North Korea for good.

It was just another ordinary morning in mid-July.

The sweltering summer heat was unforgiving as always.

"When is he coming back?" Ri Jeong Ryeol casually asked over the morning papers.

With his masters program coming to an end in late July, Jeong Hyeok would likely be back home sometime in early August.

"In two to three weeks, maybe?" Kim Yoon Hee replied, placing a slice of watermelon on an empty plate before serving it to her husband.

That's if he even comes back, she inwardly thought, not too sure what to feel about this entire situation.

After all, the two of them had encouraged Jeong Hyeok to seek his own happiness, despite a part of them wishing that it wouldn't ever happen.

She would never, ever be able to feel 100% alright with Jeong Hyeok leaving them forever.

90% maybe?

But it would never be 100%, not to a mother.

One of their housekeepers came over, notifying them of a guest at the door.

A young lady, they were told.

Who could it be?

Going to the door, Kim Yoon Hee got a very pleasant surprise.

Seo Dan.

The one person on whom her son had unintentionally inflicted the most hurt.

Truth be told, Kim Yoon Hee still felt a twinge of guilt eat at her. How many years of this girl's youth did they waste? It was a debt that could never be repaid.

"Eomeonim. How have you been?"

"I've been well. Comrade Seo, please come in."

The younger woman walked to the living room. After so many years, it felt strange to set foot in this house again, yet it felt immensely nostalgic as well.

The last time she came here, she had been a potential daughter-in-law.

Today, she was a messenger, bringing so much potential heartache.

No, not potential.

Absolute heartache.

Seo Dan didn't even know why she was helping Ri Jeong Hyeok and Yoon Se-ri.

Maybe, deep down, she was ultimately unable to hate Ri Jeong Hyeok, and unable to begrudge his choice made out of love.

Sitting down, she greeted Jeong Hyeok's father, who had come out into the living room, as well.