Gamble

"Chamomile tea for you?"

Jeong Hyeok nodded.

His mind was still reeling from the immense weight of reality, as he watched Se-ri pull a blanket higher over Jeong Hwan and Jin-ah, who were sleeping soundly between his elderly parents.

With the housekeepers and guards carefully instructed with significant sums of hush money from Se-ri, the grandparents were able to buy time with their family members from far away.

The children were initially wary of these two strangers around whom their parents kept crying, but had quickly warmed up to them with lots of encouragement from Jeong Hyeok and Se-ri over dinner.

The older couple had been absolutely delighted to have their grandchildren with them - Jeong Hyeok had never seen them smile so much since the day they lost Mu Hyeok.

It was so heartwarming to witness their interaction, as the grandparents played, laughed and repeatedly hugged and kissed the two little ones.

"Is this why you booked for such a large suite?"

"Mmhmm." The heiress nodded with a small smile, as she walked over to the hotel room's pantry. "We can sleep in the adjoining room for tonight."

Exhaling with a somewhat helpless smile filled with gratitude, Jeong Hyeok replied, "Jagiya...I don't know how to thank you-"

"You don't have to. I've always wanted to do this for you." Se-ri turned to regard her husband with a loving smile, as she placed teabags in two mugs . "If anything, I am sorry for taking so long."

"...how? How did you..?"

Walking over to the couch with steaming mugs of tea before gently placing them down on the table, Se-ri replied, "To be very honest, it was more of me being found, than me having found them."

Jeong Hyeok remained listening intently, and she took it as her cue to continue.

"Do you remember the time when you attended the show-and-tell session at Jeong Hwan's preschool? I wasn't able to attend it because of the launch of the interactive booth for the lifestyle collection?"

"Ahh yes."

He remembered it very clearly indeed; Se-ri had been slogging day and night for that interactive booth's launch.

That night, she had returned home quite unlike her usual self - the typically chatty heiress had very little to say, and had gone into the study for a very long time after helping to put the children to bed

Back then, Jeong Hyeok had thought it to be fatigue and work stress.

"I was told by one of our marketing executives that there were some letters which had been forgotten in the customer feedback mailbox."

Eyes widening, Jeong Hyeok tilted his ever so slightly in the direction of the bed on which his parents were soundly asleep.

Se-ri nodded in affirmation.