Family

"Families are like branches on a tree.

We grow in different directions, but our roots remain as one."

[Company Five]

"Comrade Geum, Comrade Jung, Comrade Park!" Kim Joo Meok called out, as he stepped into Okryu restaurant.

Located on the bank of Taedong River, between Moran Hill and Okryu Bridge, was the famous Okryu-gwan. It was a large-scale eatery that can seat up to 2,000 patrons, as with most establishments in Communist regimes.

"You're here, Comrade Kim!" Jung Man Bok, ever friendly and warm, waved his friend over to the table they were at

"I wouldn't miss out on trying one of Pyongyang's best cold noodles. Where's Comrade Pyo?"

It was the first time Company Five and Man Bok were meeting in a year; everyone was living in different places, and real life inevitably came in the way of meetups and gatherings.

Still based in Pyongyang, Gwang Beom and Man Bok were able to meet up once in a month. The younger man, married to a provincial governor's daughter, was still working for the finance ministry.

The latter was recently busy with trying his hand at film production, something which was turning out to be a passion he never realized he had. His wife was healthy and well, and U-Pil was in his second year of high school in Pyongyang.

Joo Meok, now a doting father to a little boy, had taken the good chance to bring his wife and son to Pyongyang from their hometown for a visit.

Chi Su had moved back to the military village following his wedding, where he was now running a small business. His wife had left her job at the mall with blessings from Seo Dan's mother, and was now focused on helping her husband with his shop.

Eun Dong remained in active service, though that would soon change in a couple of months. His mother and siblings were now based in Sariwon, where they were in the process of setting up an eatery.

As for Jeong Hyeok...he was doing well, in a part of the world none of them could ever visit again.

"Comrade Pyo should be arriving soon," Eun Dong replied, checking his watch. "He just sent a message to Comrade Park."

The youngest of the group had called for this meeting, in hopes of informing the boys of the recent chance meeting he had with his South Korean sister.

It wasn't something he could do via a text message, for it could mean trouble for all of them should the message be intercepted by the state authorities.

Three weeks had gone by in a flash since he saw Se-ri and the little boy who was obviously Jeong Hyeok's son.

Hastily, the young man had sent our messages to call for a 'long overdue important catch-up' in Pyongyang, especially since interstate travel documents generally take the authorities weeks to approve.