The Rainbow Minnow

March
En route to Zurich, Switzerland

"Please let me know if you need anything else, Miss Yoon."

The cabin attendant left with a polite bow upon bringing a cup of hot tea, and Se-ri went back to browsing the in-flight magazine onboard the Zurich-bound Korean Air flight.

Under the cultural segment, randomly featured of Korean summers was a familiar sight of children fishing in a ditch.

A wave of nostalgia hit her; this was how some of her summer weekends had been spent.

When they were much younger and hearts had not yet been tainted by greed and power, Se-ri had always played with Se-joon and Se-hyeong during the weekends.

There was once when the siblings had gone to play in a ditch behind their house.

All three had caught quite a number of small fish with their nets and buckets. They had been quite ready to count their catch, decide the winner for the day, release the fish and head home.

That was when Se-ri saw it.

She had a rainbow minnow in her bucket.

It might be just another common ditch dweller, but to the children back then, the rainbow minnow was the jackpot of their ditch fishing competition.

"I want to bring this pretty fish home."

"No, Se-ri. You know what Mother had said, we are not allowed to bring the fish from the ditch into the home. She will be very upset with us." Se-joon had opposed her.

"Nah it's okay, Mother wouldn't know if you don't rat on us, Hyung."
Se-hyeong had always been the craftier one. Rules, to him, had always been meant to be broken.

"Second brother is right, I want to keep this fish in my room." Se-ri had stubbornly insisted, emboldened by Se-hyeong's support.

In retrospect, her fondness had clearly been misplaced, but Se-ri had liked Se-hyeong more than she had liked Se-joon as a little girl.

Apart from being closer in age, her second older brother was always the one who caught her witty jokes first, and answered riddles accurately.

Se-joon was, more often than not, slower when it came to getting the pun, the game rules and was just about less adept at everything else.

Looking back, she had practically idolized Se-hyeong as a child, until her teenage years.

That was when her caliber clearly outshone her siblings and unhealthy competition started brewing between them.

Se-joon had been adamant. "You can't keep this fish in your room, Se-ri. It belongs out here and it wouldn't be able to thrive elsewhere. You can't force it to live happily in your room."