Extremes

"Have you checked the back door, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi?" Se-ri asked as she trotted down the steps to the first level where Jeong Hyeok was. "I have checked, the water supply has successfully been cut off."

"Yes, I've already locked it." The North Korean pianist replied, checking a drawer in which they had kept their keys and wallet to ensure that everything has been cleared out.

It felt as if they were a couple going on a long vacation - ensuring that everything in the household was securely-locked and kept away...

...except that their time together was the vacation.

With one final round of checks, they two were off, driving straight from Lungern to Zurich International Airport.

It was a fine sunny day, with warm golden rays glistening off the surface of the emerald lake in all directions. Lungern looks just as magnificent as always, as if sending its two inhabitants off with its warmest wishes.

Everything was better than it had been in the previous year, though there was a slight lingering uneasiness that both could not quite shrug off

Unlike all their past goodbyes whereby they had nothing else to do but grieve, this goodbye was the epitome of bittersweet.

Slightly confusing, slightly strange.

Do they grieve the five months and two weeks of separation,

Or should they celebrate that it would be only five months and two weeks of separation?

For a couple too accustomed to heartache and sorrow, a moment of rare benevolence from Fate was ironically unsettling.

"Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi." Se-ri broke the silence, as Lungern gradually disappeared from their view.

"Hm?"

"Even though it is only for five months," She said, toying with the strap of her Dior Montaigne Oblique bag. "You must think of me every day, okay?"

Jeong Hyeok cast an endearing sideward glance at his fiancée, before smiling to himself in mirth.

His boss lady was in baby girl mode again, and it was up to him to reassure her to his best ability.

"You underestimate me, Yoon Se-ri."

A questioning glance from her was his cue to continue.

"Even if it is for five hundred years, I will still think of you every day."

The South Korean heiress chuckled at the cheesiness of her fiancé's blatant exaggeration.

"Who would want to live for that long? The world isn't that amazing a place, you know?" Her laughter carried the lightest hint of bitterness.

"Not if you are by my side." He was quick to refute, his tone gentle. "Even five thousand years wouldn't seem too long."

"That's extreme, Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi." Se-ri chuckled at the absurdity of it all.