Sunset

The heat swirling in the Etosha National Park game reserve didn't bother Jeong Hyeok one bit.

If anything, he found himself surrounded by a constant sense of gratitude and awe.

Sitting in the safari truck, Jeong Hyeok watched as his mother and his son laughed while mimicking the various cries of the safari animals that came into sight.

Across the aisle, Jin-ah had a junior animal encyclopedia opened up on her lap, as her doting grandfather pointed out the various animals to her.

"That's a zebra. It looks like a horse, doesn't it?"

"Horse!"

"No, that's a zebra." The elderly Ri patiently explained.

"Zebra!"

"That's my clever girl."

In silence, the pianist allowed himself to embrace and enjoy the heartwarming emotions which he had always longed for, but was never truly able to feel.

Torn apart by circumstances beyond their control, the current scenario was the greatest of blessings, brought about by the most unbelievable stroke of luck.

There was something so overwhelmingly emotional about watching his parents interact with Jeong Hwan and Jin-ah.

It was as if the children's presence breathed life into Ri Jeong Ryeol and Kim Yoon Hee; they were practically glowing, as childish laughter continuously filled the air.

The fragrance of peach shampoo seeped into his senses, as a familiar weight leaned itself against his shoulder.

From beside him, seated together at the back of the safari truck, was the woman who made all these possible.

"I like this photo very much." Se-ri held her phone up such that they both could see the screen.

It was a picture of the six of them, taken with a herd of elephants further away in the background.

In the bright sunshine, were even brighter smiles.

Frozen in time, they looked just like any other regular family of three generations.

No one would ever guess the tragic circumstances, that this seemingly harmonious family was in reality, divided by one of the greatest tragedies in the 20th century.

"I like this photo very much as well." Jeong Hyeok softly echoed, to which Se-ri replied.

"This is definitely taking a spot on our photo wall at home."

A few more animal sightings at waterholes later, the safari tour was drawing to a close with the view of the sunset over Etosha National Park.