Chuseok

September
Pyongyang, North Korea

Chuseok.

The chilly autumnal winds played voyeur to the family gathering that was taking place that morning.

Through the mist of the fall morning, one could only see three individuals, when in fact, there were four

"Hyung, I've come to see you. How have you been? You must be lonely, being here by yourself. It must be very quiet at night."

Jeong Hyeok stood in front of the black marble gravestone, which was basically all that physically represented Ri Mu Hyeok now. The cemetery was filled with brittle silence.

 The cemetery was filled with brittle silence

"Happy Chuseok, Hyung. I remember how it used to be one of our favorite festivals. If you were still around, we'd might still be competing to see who can eat more jeolpyeon or songpyeon in one sitting."

Most families went about their Chuseok ancestral grave visits with hearts filled with gratitude and remembrance.

The same couldn't be said for their family.

"Did you manage to hear me confide in you on some nights? I am at a loss for what to do regarding my life at times. I wish you were around for me to rely on, and to give me the sound advice which you've always given. I miss you."

As children, Chuseok had always been something to look forward to for both Mu Hyeok and Jeong Hyeok.

Ancestral grave visits were more often than not, exhilarating sessions of hide-and-seek for the young brothers, until glares from an irate Ri Jeong Ryeol put a premature end to their games.

Then it would be more fun and feasting upon the end of the ancestral grave visits, with their relatives coming over to their place for lunch.

They would play traditional games like yut with their cousins. The elders would be sitting in the living room, catching up.

For someone who hadn't really approved of his younger son pursuing lessons in piano, Ri Jeong Ryeol had always insisted on Jeong Hyeok performing during the family gatherings.