Three

April
Lungern

She looked at the slender white stick in her hand.

There was a persistent ringing, detached yet deafening, from deep within her ears.

Somewhere in her head, there was a dull, throbbing sensation.

Closing her eyes, Se-ri attempted to draw a deep breath, only to fail halfway as involuntary tremors interrupted her breathing.

She tried to gulp, but her tongue was absolutely dry with shock, uncomfortably stuck to the roof of her mouth.

A quivering hand fought to summon strength, like how one would try to clench a fist upon waking up, but her fingers seemed to have a mind of their own. They spasmed rhythmically, threatening to release her hold on the object triggering her state of shock.

Se-ri drew a long, shaky breath.

Then one more.

Shaking, trembling and feeling increasingly lethargic, she raised the pregnancy test kit's stick again.

That little blue "+" was still there.

It didn't even take a full minute for the results to show

Her insides churned violently.

There was already another used stick by the sink, sporting similar results.

She had bought two kits, just to be sure.

Se-ri was not one of those girls who had her period coming like clockwork, so she hadn't given it much thought when she missed her last period.

It was when uncharacteristic lethargy, bloating and the occasional vertigo set in, did she suspect something more.

Rising waves of nausea, from gripping fear and perhaps from the early pregnancy, engulfed her.

Please...don't let this happen.

Not now.

How did this happen? Her sanity screamed, but her traitorous mind retorted sharply.

Who are you trying to fool, Yoon Se-ri?

Se-ri wouldn't go as far to say that she was completely caught by surprise.

They were actively having sex after all. In retrospect, with it being the fault of no one else but her own, she did forget the pill on some days.

When...? Her birthday?

His birthday?

Or was it when they had gone on an Alpine retreat to Jungfrau, when Jeong Hyeok had a short mid-semester break in March?

Back then, she would have just signed off the first prototype for the packaging of a new Seri's Choice bath salts range.

The couple had definitely spent a lot of time...unwinding from stress in each other's company.