15 - Aizawa

One by one they all fall down

Keep losing ground, losing ground

The day had looked dreary at first, but it soon cleared up and got brighter. By the time Aizawa had made it to Hosu City, it was looking like the sun would come up any second. He had been awake when he got Shinsou's text about getting a lift with him. He was about to say no, but then he figured it would be the most logical thing to do - she'd be able to get to school (which seemed to be a problem for whatever reason), Hosu City was on the way, and they could share the taxi fare, which would save him money. Not that he was going to let her pay half of it anyway.

She hadn't responded to him until shortly before he left the house. All she did was send a location with a very cryptic message. Aizawa half suspected she was drunk or high on something and needed help, but it made no sense, considering the first message had been perfectly clear. After thinking up a few possibilities, he figured he'd just wait and see what was going on.

After all, it would be very unlike Shinsou to be drinking that much in the middle of the week, especially since she had apparently planned to attend the Sports Festival. But then again, the most talented people needed a break from time to time. And not just a day off, a complete break from reality.

"Mister, I can't go any further. Police blocked off that road. Your stop should just be up ahead in that little alleyway. I'll wait here, if you want." the taxi driver suddenly said to him. Aizawa gave him a confused look, being snapped back to reality. Police were blocking off the road? What the hell did Shinsou get herself into?

"Sir?" the taxi driver asked again. Aizawa nodded.

"Yeah, I'll be back." he said and got out of the car. He made his way towards the side alley that the driver had pointed to. There were a bunch of police cars and police tape everywhere. He could see crime scene technicians walk around the place. What the hell had happened here?

"Sir, you can't just-" someone said to him, but Aizawa practically shoved his badge into their face.

"It's fine, I can." he mumbled and walked closer. He could see Shinsou lying on top of the bonnet of a patrol car, staring up into the morning sky. There was another guy just a few years older than her standing next to the car, smoking a cigarette absent-mindedly. He looked tired as hell.

"What's going on here?" Aizawa asked as he approached the patrol car. Shinsou turned her head and jumped off the bonnet as soon as she saw him.

"Morning, prof. Sorry to jump you with asking for a favour like that, but it's been a weird night." Kaori Shinsou said, gesturing vaguely at the crime scene around her. Aizawa quickly surveyed her. She was in her police uniform, but without the jacket. The tie was loosened up, there was a lot of blood on her blouse and probably on her pants, too (it wasn't easy to see, because they were navy blue). There was some dirt on the knee part of her pants, her hair was disheveled and she looked like she hadn't slept in a week. Knowing her, she probably hadn't.

"My God, you look terrible." he commented. Shinsou gave him a tired smile and just shrugged.

"Yeah, well, I haven't exactly had time to get much beauty sleep. Also, you're one to talk, still bandaged up and all." she answered, her voice sounding a little slurry. Aizawa was wondering exactly how long she had been awake for.

"Fair point. Let's get going, we don't have all day." he said and started walking back towards the taxi. There were a lot of questions he wanted to ask, but he didn't want to do it with all these other people around.