seventy nine

Rebecca started the day with clinging to Taehyung, afraid that if she'd let go, he's disappear. But then reality settled in.

Sophie is leaving today.

So Rebecca clinged to Sophie once it processed in her head. She loved having her best friend with her. She loved being with another girl after spending the week with BTS.

"Do you have to leave?" Rebecca asked, the two outside, swinging on the porch swing. "Can't you stay?" Sophie smiled sadly, patting Rebecca's hand.

"It'll be just like the good old days. Texting each other, threatening to whoop each other's asses for not taking care of ourselves. We can Zoom whenever and I can make fun of you going to bed before me even when I'm five hours ahead." Sophie knew Rebecca was smiling beside her, remembering the fond memories. "You killing Larry!!"

"That was your fault!" Rebecca laughed, her too, remembering the fictional koala's death. "You wouldn't take a break!"

"Yeah then you broke his neck!" Sophie and Rebecca leaned onto each other, laughing their asses off, memories flooding their minds and falling from their lips.

The boys all crowded around the window behind the girls, trying to listen to the conversation while not breaking anything.

"Look at Sophie's smile! She looks so happy!"

"Those dumbasses laugh for five minutes, wheeze at the same time, and then laugh for another five minutes."

"They are dumbasses."

"But she's my dumbass."

"She's my dumbass!"

"No not your dumbass! I'm talking about my dumbass!"

"Ah, your dumbass."

"You two are the real dumbasses."

"You're single."

"Shut up!"

)()()()()(

Rebecca dragged her feet behind Sophie, following her up to the ticket counter, wandering further with her to the baggage drop off. Hoseok was with her, same with Namjoon. The others were in charge of finding somewhere to eat. They'd already said goodbye, leaving the other three with Sophie.

"Alrighty guys," Sophie turned to the three, looking down at her passport. Hoseok ran forward and hugged her tightly, Rebecca drifting back to Namjoon. "I know Hobi." Sophie whispered sadly, hugging her boyfriend tightly. "I'm going to miss you too."

"What if I never see her again?" Rebecca looked up at Namjoon, trying to keep her tears in. "What if -"

"You'll see her again." Namjoon wrapped an arm around her shoulder, turning them both to face Sophie and Hoseok. "I know you will." Rebecca spun Taehyung's ring on her finger, watching the couple kiss before turning to their friends.

Sophie held out her arms for Rebecca, who happily ran forward, hugging her tightly.

"I'm going to miss you." Sophie squeezed her eyes shut, Rebecca following, tears tracing her cheeks.

"I'm going to miss you too." Rebecca's voice cracked, feeling Sophie let go of the hug. But she wanted to hold on. She didn't want to let go.

Letting go is painful.

Rebecca waved sadly, Sophie turning back one last time, a smile on her face, blowing kisses before disappearing in the crowd.

Namjoon took Taehyung's place in wiping away Rebecca's tears that night.