74

cute stuffs . inspo for the whole road trip ^^

-

"With your love, your love..."

"I'm a better, better man."

That lyric had, since the first time it was sung, become almost a way for the two of them to check in on each other. When one of them was quiet for too long and the other wanted to know they were okay, he'd sing it.

If the silent one was fine, they'd sing it in response. If they weren't, more silence. But right now, Calum was on cloud nine (hence why he'd responded with the lyric).

He and Ashton were currently driving through Utah, which was also known as the Beehive State. So far, the drive had been quiet. They weren't listening to the radio. They weren't really talking. They were sitting in silence and sparing tiny glances at each other because holy fuck, they honestly couldn't believe it:

They were married. It was over. Every bit of hurt they'd put each other through was in the past, and now they got a chance to start over. Begin a new chapter, if you will.

Calum looked out the window, then gasped and squeezed Ashton's hand. "Baby, look. Pretty lake."

"Do you wanna stop?"

"Yeah. We can watch the sunset. It'll be nice."

"Okay." Ashton pulled over to where Calum had pointed. The area was completely vacant, surrounded by trees, and had a peaceful aura to it. The lake was sort of small but Calum had been right, it was pretty.

The sun was starting to set and the lake shimmered with the reflection of each and every colour in the sky. Maybe he was overthinking it, but everything just seemed so much more beautiful with his husband by his side.

He pulled in just a little past the spot Calum had suggested he park in, then reversed (what he guessed would be called parallel parking) right up to the treeline. There were only a few small trees between them and the water. It was perfect.

He and Calum got out, opened the back door of the van and made themselves comfortable in the sea of blankets back there. It was where they had planned to spend the night if they found a spot perfect enough. And they had.

Ashton looked out at the water. He smiled, then brought Calum's hand to his lips and kissed over his knuckles. "This is wonderful."

"It really is. I've always wanted to do something like this."

"Me too. Road trips are always depicted as so much fun."

"Not in horror movies." Calum remarked.

"Which horror movie?"

"Jeepers Creepers." He deadpanned as if it were obvious.

Ashton didn't usually commit such things to memory. "Ah. Well, I think we're havin' fun. I know I am."

"I am too, my love. It's perfect."

"Mm-hm."

They were having a great time. But Calum could tell that Ashton was still a little stressed. He understood, he felt the same way--they were having a baby in five months. The days of road trips and vacations and tranquility would be over. At least for a little while.

"Hey, do you need to relax, baby?"

"I'm not not-relaxed." Ashton replied, still lost in thought.

Calum pursed his lips. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah. I do."

Ashton pulled a lighter out of his pocket. Calum reached into his backpack and grabbed a paper, a grinder and a baggie of what he often jokingly called either 'the Devil's lettuce' or 'jazz cabbage'.