Entry 148: Zora's Domain

After training and eating Sidon told me he needed help. Muzu wanted to search out these ancient slabs engraved in the Domain's cliffs with history on them, and he needed someone to go and check on them, make sure they weren't damaged, but due to an accident the map with the locations of them broke and couldn't be pieced together so they would need to be searched out! Sidon had some idea of where to go, but he thought with all the traveling I do, I'd be able to spot them amongst all the nature since I have to climb, and find good places for shelter often.

Sidon is a little disappointed to be missing out on training, but when he has the time, I'll give him private training. He seemed to like the idea of that.

I never thought about it before, but with so much water around, it only makes sense that they don't write on paper, instead they engrave everything on stone slabs, from recipes to their history. We actually went past a few when trudging through the storm, there are little glowing pillars next to engraved walls. Sidon wrote down what was on the wall in case it were to erode away due to lack of care one day. I find that unlikely, the Zoras are too loving of others and themselves to let even crystal to not be well cared for, especially so when Sidon will lead them.

The first one we spotted was not on the path though, it was down by the water where we were first searching.

It's the legend that started the tradition of Zora princesses making armor for their future husbands.

I can't remember much of my past, so... Did I agree to marry Mipha, and we just hadn't told anyone, or did she make this for me to confess her feelings? What was our relationship exactly? She knew me as a child, but then I disappeared and came back as a knight years later. Her diary never said if we really spent time together. Did we do things like what Sidon and I are now?

The legend was about a king who was not good at war but loved his people and wife immensely. Before he went into a ferocious battle his wife sewed one of her scales into his armor, wanting her love to protect him in some way and it did, light shone down on it, reflecting off it blinding the enemy and they won.

Sidon recounted how he couldn't recall any legends about princes of the Zora. He perked up when I said that our saving Ruta would likely be legendary. He liked the idea of being in a legend with me.

This next one we found on the trail. It spoke of how Lanayru always had lots of rain so Zoras naturally gathered and that was how the Domain was created ten thousand years ago. It even explained how with all the crystals around they created new ways to work with the stone and made the whole Domain to be like a sculpture. Seems that's seeped into everything about them. They themselves even embody that, beautiful, elegant, and strong. I suppose it's only natural for the prince of such a place to reflect all that it is, who his people are and more.

Sidon told me that before Zora history was regularly archived there was this legend passed down about crystals, it seems the gems have always been important to them. It was of how the Zora's got their crest of the three crescent shapes. Apparently it was a blue gem that was passed down and used for proposing marriage. He didn't know too many more details though, but the thought of the crest coming from a tradition about love is something Sidon holds dear.

Doing some searching off the trail and we found another one, but it was a bit of a drop from one cliff to another. Sidon was just able to carry me and Bossa Nova and hop down to it.

The reservoir where Vah Ruta was making it's rampage, it's a symbol of sorts. The Hylians came to help the Zora from flooding that would always destroy their home and people, and together they built a great dam. This managed to save all of Hyrule from flooding. As thanks for helping the Zora build the reservoir they promised to manage it and protect the rest of Hyrule from floods. It symbolizes the ten-thousand-year long bond between us. Sidon says that it seems history truly repeats himself, and just looked to me, smiling.

He told me the Hylians and Zora have a very extensive history. We've always helped out one another in tough times, even having history before ten thousand years ago, but the time before then hadn't been as well documented like this current era. Some of the wall carvings might have those tales, Sidon got really excited at the thought of finding them.

He then seemed to realize something. He told me of some tales Kass had told me. The ones of the old heroes, the one who could control time with music and the one who could control wind. Sidon told me that some said there is supposedly a legend which connected them all. The hero reincarnating. Sidon wondered if maybe they Hylians and Zora could have such good relations for so long was because the two of us perhaps reincarnated and our bond is eternal. So no matter where I go, no matter the time, even if I live forever, we'll meet again, and the relations between Zora and Hylians will be renewed because of our friendship. He told me that'd mean, no matter what, he would ALWAYS be with me, no matter what, even time could not be a factor. Our friendship was one that would last forever.

I don't like the thought of living forever. I don't like the thought of reincarnating, it'd mean I'd never get to rest, I'd always have to fight. But... if every time I always had Sidon by my side or at least close by, I think I could bare it all. I'd at least get to spend more time with him. Maybe in some other life, everything could just be a little more peaceful and we could just be together without a part of me feeling like I should be going, that I shouldn't be here, that it's bad to be here, enjoying myself when I have to be saving them, not be with them.

I'd like a life like that.

There's a window in my room, I can see the soft glow of the stone and city from it. It's pretty.