Entry 10: Kakariko Village

There was a lot more clucking this morning than usual. I didn't think much about it till I saw that one of the guards who protect the village looked distressed. It turns out that his Cuccos escaped their pen in the night and were running amuck through the village. They went wherever they pleased, and ate whatever they wanted, but they especially liked the neighbor's crops. So once again I spent most of the day running around searching for things.

Cottla spotted me and thought I was playing a game and decided to play too. It ended up becoming a race on who could collect the most. Little Cottla tried her best but it wasn't working out so well. I may have "accidentally" dropped a Cucco or two and Cottla found them after I lost them.

While searching I ran into Lasli. I hadn't seen her around often, she spends most of her time at home. She was carrying an awful lot of herbs. So many in fact that she kept dropping a few. I ended up helping her carry them till a cucco tried to eat them. Thankfully that was when Cottla came racing towards it and scared it away. Turns out that Lasli's parents are very sick and she needs to spend all of her time looking after them. She wants to help her parents, but she misses things she used to do. One thing she particularly missed was watching fireflies at night.

By the evening all the Cuccos were rounded up Cado the guard admitted that his wife left him after he couldn't answer the question whether or not he loved his cuccos more than her. He insisted on paying me fifty rupees.

By this time, it was late evening, almost night. Lasli was understating how beautiful the village is on a clear night. There were so many fireflies fluttering about. You didn't need any other light source in order to see the paths and signs. They kind of just gently float about. If you wanted, you could even pet some.

I went to Lasli's house with a handful of fireflies. I was going to let them in through a window, but there wasn't one. I guess that explains why she couldn't see them from her house. So instead I knocked on the door. When she said to "Come in" I only partly slid open the door and released the fireflies. She was clearly delighted.

I tried to sneak away, but in the process, I fell into a river. She heard the splash and came check out what happened. I told her I'd be fine, but with a surprising strong grip she forcefully dragged me to her house and dropped a large cloth on my head and told me to dry myself off. She even gave me traditional Sheikah clothing to wear while my clothing dried. It was a little big, but the entire outfit is adjustable, so I was able to make it suit me. Apparently, it was made to be able to move around quickly and quietly without being seen. She even showed me how to properly move around in it.

She thanked me for the fireflies and for spending the night with her. She has trouble sleeping, but lately especially so.

I asked her if she was sure that I could keep the clothing, and she said... "Yes, I'm sure. After all... I don't think my father will be needing it anymore." I... I wasn't sure what to do. She looked sad yet so accepting of what she just said.

I wonder how many people I once knew who are gone now. Will I ever remember them? Would they be upset knowing I don't remember them?

I was lost in thought for a while and didn't even realize Lasli fell asleep next to me.

I'll stay one more night for Lasli's sake.