16 - The Moment That Changed Everything

The Royal Knights were marching behind one person, Irene Aegis. People moved to the side as they let the knights pass. They were headed straight to the stadium set up in the middle of the plaza. A knight jogged over to the other knights in the back of the line.

"Where were you?" Questioned one of them.

"Sorry. I had to use the bathroom. Please don't tell Irene about this." The new knight pleaded.

The knight sighed. "Just be careful from now on. And make sure to use the restroom beforehand."

"Thanks." The new knight smiled. "You're a lifesaver."

August 3rd. The day that changed everything.

Integration was complete. I marched along with the other knights. I am the new knight.

It was a gamble pretending to be a knight that went to the restroom, but it worked. It doesn't seem that this knight knows the knight I'm disguising as.

Because of this, he didn't suspect a thing. Luckily this infiltration mission will only last for a couple minutes, so It shouldn't be long enough for them to realize that there's an imposter among them.

I'll save Irene, and then pretend to be a Royal Knight for a little longer before finding an opportunity to escape.

Irene walked up the stairs on the side of the podium, the rest of the knights shortly following. She walked up to the mic at the middle of the stage, tapping it.

Behind her, a couple feet away, the Royal Knights stood shoulder-to-shoulder in a line, facing the crowd. Our job was to sit here and look pretty.

If one examined the knights, they would notice that most wore helmets. Their armor was identical, with the only difference being their size and the intended gender of the wearer. A few didn't wear helmets however.

I looked like the ones with a helmet and full set of armor. I also had my cheap sword strapped to my side. I'm hoping not to use it because of how cheap and fragile it is. It's mostly so I don't rouse suspicion as a weaponless knight.

In the middle of the Royal Knights was Cyrus, Irene's right hand man. Well, for now at least. His helmet was off, showing his pretty boy face. He had baby blue colored hair. It was combed downwards, right next to his right eye.

We all stood still as the crowd around the stage grew bigger. Irene was pretty loved by the public.

It's part of why this day was so devastating in the anime.

"Hello everyone." Irene said. Her voice was light, very similar to Iris'. However, it was slightly deeper and more mature sounding. Her tone was so regal, but in the good way.

She looked almost exactly like Iris. Her hair was in a bun instead of a ponytail however, that being the biggest difference between them. Her pointy ears were completely shown. The proud trait of an Elf.

She didn't wear armor. Maybe it was because this was only a speech, or because she had her knights. Instead she wore a simple blue dress, with golden trimmings. Her earrings were also golden, matching her dress.

I don't think it's real gold but she is a princess...so who knows?

"To all of you who are here today, thank you. And to all of you watching this through the television, thank you as well." Irene said. She waved towards the drones that flew from the sky, which gave anyone at home a chance to watch her speech.

"Rifts have been opening more often than usual this year. I understand that you may be afraid. Trust me, we all are. The rifts can come at anytime, at anywhere." Irene continued.