17 - Somehow I'm Now A Royal Bodyguard

"You're a Tier 8." I replied. "I'm a Tier 3. Why would you need me? Not to mention you're incredibly smart, and easily one of the greatest upcoming Adventurers of our generation."

"I am smart. But you don't give enough credit to yourself. You're also scarily smart. Being able to infiltrate the Royal Knights without suspicion." Irene stated.

You think that highly of me? It wasn't that hard to be honest. You might just need to improve security or something. Just like Legacy High.

"You match up to me in smarts, and it's only been a couple months since your Adventurer training must have started. You're already at Tier 3, and you've almost mastered the Dragon Fist style." Irene listed out the reasons.

Wow, I'm flattered.

"And now I'm not sure who to trust. One of my own Royal Knights attempted to assassinate me, and ALL of them are loyal to the Aegis Family. Having one defect is unimaginable..." Irene continued. "I need your help."

"And you can trust me?" I replied. "You're smart, observant, and intuitive. You don't need my help."

Please, just leave me alone. I saved you, and that was my only goal. You should then be able to deal with your brother Isaac, and Iris won't be become a yandere. I've done enough here.

"Obviously I'm not enough, because I would have been dead if not for you. And if you weren't on my side, you wouldn't have helped me." Irene stated. "I have my suspicions on the culprit, but I need you to help me. Two minds are better than one."

...

"And I'll make sure to make it worth your while." Irene added.

Worth my while?

"How?" I curiously asked. What is it?

"First, I'll pay you. And while you're my bodyguard I'll make sure you have the best equipment, on me of course." Irene stated.

Those are good. Having money and equipment will definitely help me survive...but I don't know if it's worth it...is it worth getting into the mess of Arc 2...?

"And I'll tell you everything about strengthening your Arcana." Irene finished.

What?

"There's more?" I asked, shocked.

"While we don't have enough information yet to completely inform the public, we still have theories and evidence. You'll have access to see it all if you become my bodyguard." Irene smiled. "And I mean as my personal bodyguard."

"Isn't that Cyrus?" I wondered.

"He is, but I'm not sure if I can trust him." Irene stated.

My god. She's a monster. Scarily smart.

Cyrus ends up being a traitor in the anime, known as the "Treacherous Knight", despite having an incredibly loyal personality. He even grew up with Irene and Iris. They're practically childhood friends, yet he ends up betraying them. It's believed that he was ordered by Isaac, and that's the only reason he betrayed them.

But still...to obey the orders of a corrupt prince to murder your own childhood friend...?

"He's the most loyal out of all of them, but if one of them already defected..." Irene sighed. "I hate to suspect him. I've known him my entire life. But if my theory is correct, then he's not safe to be alone with."

"And there's the fact that he attempted to assassinate me in broad daylight in front of a crowd." Irene added. "Which means he either is bold, dumb, or..."