20 - The Birthday Of The Second Princess

Today's the day. August 15th, the day of twins Iris and Isaac's Birthday, where they will both become 18.

That is, if one isn't assassinated. Both Irene and myself believe that there's going to be an assassination attempt on Iris during her own birthday. But I don't plan on letting her die. For multiple reasons, all of which are beneficial to me.

My phone rang. Picking it up, I saw it was a call from Eric.

"Hey, Eric." I greeted. "What's up?"

"You're going to be at Iris' birthday party, right?" He asked.

"Yeah?" I replied, curious as to where he was going with this.

"Iris invited Lily and I to the party. I'll be able to see you there!" Eric happily replied. I could practically hear the smile through the phone.

"That's nice. It's been a while due to this bodyguard situation." I stated.

"Yeah, it has. Why did you even accept it again?" Eric asked.

"Money, really." I answered. That's not all of the reasons, but the easiest to explain. "Then I won't have to be mostly living on cup ramen noodles."

"I feel your pain. I fell your pain." Eric empathized through the call. "Well, see you there."

"See ya." I responded, hanging up on the phone.

"Who was that?" A sweet voice asked from behind me. A strange feeling on my back did not feel so sweet however.

"My friend Eric." I replied, turning to the source of that unnatural feeling on my back.

Irene Aegis.

"Oh! That's nice!" Irene smiled. The strange feeling was no longer there.

Recently Irene has been acting differently, and it's kind of worrying. The differences are subtle, but she's seemed to gain some more charm.

It's just...subtle actions that she's made that make her more attractive. Not to mention she's been reacting in strange ways sometimes.

So far I've just brushed it off. It's been really small, and hasn't had any impact. But just because I've brushed it off doesn't mean that I've forgotten about it.

Either this could be nothing, something very scary, or just something else. I'm really hoping that isn't not the scary one, or else I've got myself into a shit-load of trouble I don't think I'll be able to dig myself out of.

"Do you have your present?" She asked. She held up her own, a small, wrapped box.

"Yeah." I replied, holding up a small, wrapped box. Despite the fact that our boxes are similar we got different presents.

Irene got her earrings while I got her a necklace.

Okay, the difference isn't that large.

Irene wanted me to get Iris a present because, quote on quote, "You'll be in the family soon". I'm really hoping that I just misinterpreted that and that she actually means joining the Aegis Family staff.

I'm really hoping.

In an anime like this one, you can never be too careful. That's why I'm taking note of these small things. However, I won't do anything without concrete proof however, in case it is my own paranoia.

But if it isn't my own paranoia and I'm right, then it would probably be late to do anything. That's why I'm really hoping that it's paranoia.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked Irene.