34 - A Past Finally Confronted

It started a long time ago, back at the beginning of my first life. I wasn't exactly born into the best family. My parents were drunkards who didn't give a shit about me. Sometimes they'd even hit me. I tried my best to avoid that.

And then one day, my mother got pregnant again. I still don't know why she didn't abort the baby, but it ended up in the creation of my little sister.

Kira.

And that day when I first saw her little face, I pledged that I would protect her. It was my duty as an older brother.

And so as she grew up, she knew her parents weren't good people. But they never laid a hand on her.

Why?

Because of me. I put the "spotlight" on myself.

I made myself the center of their attention. I was beat a lot for that. But whenever I was home, I would keep them from touching Kira. And while I was at school, Kira was at her own school. Our parents couldn't harm her there.

I did whatever to keep them off of Kira and keep their attention on me. Lie that I had bad grades, oppose them, yell, break something, anything that would shift their attention to me and away from my little sister.

As you would expect, gradually my hate for them grew. But school was my own escape. I had an amazing school life when I started high school.

I was the smartest one in our grade, I was incredibly popular, I had ton of friends, and I was even dating the most popular girl.

Life was great at school. That was...until that happened.

My girlfriend Kiera had called me to the back of the school. I had no clue why she had called me back there, but I went. I was a little worried she was going to break up with me.

It was much worse.

I was ambushed by a bunch of delinquents. Beaten to the ground with fists and pipes, leaving me bloodied, bruised, and...broken.

And the one behind it all was my own girlfriend Kiera. And when I weakly asked her "why"?, she gave me on reason.

"Because it's fun."

She didn't care about me. Never did. I was the prime target, the most popular boy in school. So she destroyed me completely.

Physically and mentally.

I had loved her, and then she betrayed me.

I went to the most popular kid to the bullied one which everyone avoided. Every single one of my friends had turned their back on me.

Only one person didn't; my sister.

Life went on like that for a while until something new happened. Our parents had abandoned us, leaving us to fend for ourselves.

I hated them. They didn't care for us, they abused us, and then they abandoned us.

I had been abandoned by my friends, my girlfriend, and my parents. They all abandoned me. And why? Because I had the spotlight, and that gave me the problems that brought my whole life down.

I quit school after that, finally having enough of the abuse there.

I then worked my ass off at multiple part time jobs, all for one person's sake. The one person who hadn't left me; Kira.

I swore I would never abandon her like how I was abandoned.

I was determined to give her the life that I wasn't able to have. A life full of fun and no worries. She would be able to go to a nice school, and then college.