18 - A Chaotic/Normal Day For A Bodyguard

"This suit feels tight..." I muttered, pulling at the collar. "Why am I wearing a suit, and not armor like the rest of your knights?"

"You're not a Royal Knight. You're my personal bodyguard." Irene stated. "And under that suit is some of the best under armor you can get. Small and thin but powerful enough to stop bullets."

"If you say so..." I replied.

Certainly doesn't feel like it.

"Here. Take this." Irene said, handing me an earpiece.

"An earpiece?" I asked.

"It's a small communication device. It will allow us to talk to each other without being next to each other." Irene explained.

"But aren't I to stay by your side 24/7?" I wondered.

"Yes." Irene nodded. "But we can't be too careful."

"Fair point." I nodded.

If we slip up, Iris might end up dying. And while that would get rid of a yandere, it wouldn't sit so well in my stomach.

"So, what now?" I asked.

"Now, we watch out for an assasssin." Irene decided.

"What?" I asked. "So soon?"

"Yes." Irene replied. "They want to finish what they started. A Royal Knight was found dead this morning by a maid, stuck inside the cleaning closet."

God, I'll have to be careful. A skilled assassin has already infiltrated the Aegis Mansion. No wonder Irene says I need to be by her side 24/7.

Wait...inside the closet...found by the maid...

Would they ever expect the person who found the body? With good acting they can make it seem as if they found the body, instead of being the one who did it.

"You think it's the maid?" I asked.

"The maid...?" Irene muttered. "Wait...that actually makes sense..."

Irene walked through the hallway of the mansion while I shortly followed behind her. I believe we are now making rounds around the mansion to see if anything else suspicious has happened.

As we walked through the hallway, someone else turned onto the hallway, walking towards our direction.

Fuck, it's Iris.

As we walked by I looked away, avoiding eye contact with her. Let's hope she doesn't notice-

"Wait...Kage?!" Gasped Iris.

"Hello...Aegis..." I sighed in defeat.

Irene turned towards her younger sister. "You know each other?" She asked.

"Yeah, he goes to my school. What's he doing here?" Iris asked.

Irene didn't respond for a moment, lost in her thoughts. "Oh, now I remember why I thought I've heard your name before." Irene thought aloud. "Iris talks about you a lot."

Excuse me, what?!

"What?! No I don't!" Yelled Iris. "You just confuse me. I don't understand you at all. I can only think that you have something against the Aegis Family for some reason, and that's why you act that way."

"W-" I was about to say an excuse before I was cut off by Irene.

"He doesn't. After all, he saved my life. He wouldn't have done that if he hated the Aegis Family." Irene bluntly stated.

"...what?" Iris asked, shocked.

Shit, this is backfiring.

"Could you...repeat that?" Iris asked.