19 - Irene's Boy Troubles

(Irene POV)

I've been feeling strange lately. It all started that day. The day I was almost assassinated. Just thinking about that fact scares me, but it didn't happen. Because of him.

Why is it that my heart races when I see him? My hands start to sweat and I start to feel clammy. The only way to talk to him normally is by acting as my "Captain", strict self.

Why did he help me? Sometimes I wonder that. And when I do, a fantasy invades my brain. And as much as I want it to stay inside, I have to shake it out.

It's strange. Why do I feel like this? This has never happened. For once, I don't wish to talk to someone besides family in a non-business way.

It's strange. I don't understand it.

When I gave him the Artifact, for some reason I ended up unconsciously slipping it onto his right hand's ring finger.

For humans, this means the person is engaged. But it also has a similar, almost identical, meaning for Elves. Placing a ring onto another's right ring finger is an act of proposal.

I proposed to him. He doesn't realize that, but I do.

Why?

Why did I propose to him?

And why...does thinking about a future together with him make me feel...so happy? The happiest I've maybe ever felt. It feels a void in my heart has been filled when I think about that.

I don't understand it. That's why I decided to ask Mother. She might know.

"You keep guard out here. Don't let anyone else come in." I ordered.

"What's going on?" He asked. "You suddenly stopped the spar."

I have been sparring with Kage, teaching him about the weaknesses of the Royal Knights. All Royal Knights use the Lightning Sword technique. If Ken knows how that style works, he'll be able to counter it if any more Royal Knights defect.

He's a quick learner. He quickly grasps the weaknesses and how to use them. Unfortunately for him, his teacher, me, is stronger and can easily counter. But every time he is knocked down, he gets back up without a complaint. It's incredible...

I shook my head out of those thoughts. Not the time to be fantasizing.

"I need to ask Mother about something." I stated.

"Got it." He nodded. "I'll make sure nobody else comes in."

I stood in front of the door to Mother's room. She should be inside at this moment. I knocked on the door. It opened, revealing my mother.

She had long, flowing blond hair with light blue eyes. Her Elf ears stuck out, revealed and unhidden. Some Elves hide their ears. Our family takes pride as Elves. This Elf was the Aegis Family Queen, Isabela Aegis.

"Oh! Irene! What a wonderful surprise!" Smiled Mother. "How can I help you?"

"I want to ask you something. May I come in?" I asked.

"Of course!" Mother happily replied. "Come right on in!"

I walked in, sitting down on the couch. Mother locked the door before sitting down next to me.

"So, what's wrong?" Mother asked. "I can tell something's bothering you."

She's observant as usual...

I started to explain my troubles. "I'm confused. There's this man, who whenever I look at him, my heart races and I feel...different. I want to talk with him normally, I-".