chapter 16

NOOR

I barely managed to sleep yesterday because of so many things going on in my head, it's like I'm getting inmersed into a deep well everyday inside this house, the mess is getting bigger and I'm getting more confused. I want answers to so many questions but i have no one to answer them. What happened to Kaleem two years ago that makes everyone so worried about him and who was Yasmeenah?.. Are my area of concentration now, i have to know about them to know how to fix everything.

"Good morning mother" i greeted her and the rest of the family as i sat down on the dining chair. It's obvious everyone is already here because i woke up late and even missed fajr prayer.

It was after I finished eating that i realized Kaleem and his friend Aneel were not here for breakfast. But i cared less so i just help Lailah cleared the table after we're done.

"Please Noor take this food to Kaleem" Lailah's voice brought me back to reality.

"What?.. me?.. why me?" I stutter confused.

"I have to rush to the hospital, Khaleel's doctor wants to see me and Zahra is recording her weekend videos so please you take it to him and check how he's feeling now"

"But sister in-law..."

"Don't sister-in-law me!" She interjected frowning. "It's now that you know that I'm your sister in-law?.

I pouted and turned to leave but she dragged my arm back and handed me the heavy tray stacked with food, and adjust her hijab as she spoke "i cannot send the maid because he's sick and we want someone to check on him for us, he doesn't want too many people going in and out of his apartment".

"But you knew what happened the last time I was there"

She patted on my shoulder twice "nothing will happen this time insha Allah, do not be scared of your scary brother ok?"

"See you also call him scary" i said scrunching my face.

"Ok he's not, I'm getting late please go, bye" she said and hang her bag around her shoulder and left me standing across the kitchen island following her with my gaze.

.....

"Assalam alaikum" i raised my voice a bit as this was the 4th time i was saying salam with no response. I removed my shoes and get down the stairs to Kaleem's kitchen and placed the large tray on his dining table, i really wonder if he's going to eat all this alone.

Lailah asked me to check on him but she also told me he doesn't want anyone in his bedroom, so what am i suppose to do? Should i ignore her words and just leave or should i take the risk of checking on him inside his bedroom?

I went back upstairs and stopped by his bedroom door contemplating whether I should enter or not.
Just when i was about to turn the knob on the door, something caught my eyes.

I can see something colourful from the partially open door to the other room next to Kaleem's bedroom, and close to that room he forbade me from entering that day. I want to ignore but I can't, i want to resist my urge to going there but i couldn't. My consciousness isn't with me when my feet drag me to that door, and my eager heart pushed the door wide open and i stare at it with my jaws on the floor.

I dragged myself further inside the room and it smelled of something like paint and different kind of chemicals from the hanging paints that are yet to dry, it seemed like he just finished fainting it. the room is so bright with large windows but i was surprised that almost all the faintings are dark featured.

Dark themed paintings are beautiful but why is even the painting of flowers in a dark garden? and he only painted lavenders, bat orchid, calla lily and queen of the night tulip. All his paintings have some kind of dark aura and it somehow feel sad and scary.

"Why does Kaleem like dark colors?" I ask myself as i stroll around the room checking out the other paintings.
At a far corner of the room sat a large trash bin, and there was a portrait thrown in it, as it doesn't go in completely, i could see the name "YASMEENAH" written under it in capital letters, but it's the only bright painting i saw in the whole room so i hurried over and took the portrait out of the dustbin and it displayed a picture of a young, fair and a very beautiful lady.

She has a small smile on her face that partially displays her teeth and she was looking directly at me it seems, she looks so gorgeous and innocent in her light pink veil.

"So this is the Yasmeenah that they are talking about?!" I ask myself again as i turn the frame and there was a short note scribbled at the left down edge.

It reads
'you are my first and last love,
i promise baby you'll always be mine to protect'.

"was she Kaleem's ex-wife? No! He was never married, i hope so" i whisper and when i realize my words i quickly put my hands over my mouth startled, why did i say that? Why did i care if Kaleem was married or not?.

I didn't hear any sound of footstep behind me, i just saw his figure when he quickly snatched the portrait and wear confused expression on his face
"what are you doing here Noor? In Kaleem's painting room?"

I look up at his face and he was damn handsome oh Allah!
"An.. Aneel?" I blinked.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Ummu Najma 🥰