chapter 24

Noor's POV

"Lailah! Lailah!! Where are you?" I shouted as i entered their apartment.
She came out from her bedroom running, fear evident in her eyes.

"What happened? Did anything happened to anyone?" She asked panting a little.

"Nah! Why are you always concerned about others?" I raised the car keys that Kaleem gave me and the manilla envelope.
"See what i got" i said grinning.

"A car?!!" She exclaimed.

"And an admission to the best university in Abuja" i added jumping out of excitement.

She ran over to me and gave me a tight hug. "I'm so happy for you my dear" she said slowly dancing along with me. "May Allah bless it, and may it be beneficial for you" she prayed

"Ameen" i answered as she pulled away from me, just then mother and Zahra entered along with Habeeb.

"What happened? Noor why were you screaming?" Asked mother scowling. I steadied myself a little and apologized, still grinning.

"Sorry mother i was just astonished, yah Kaleem bought me a car"

Her eyes suddenly widened upon hearing that "A car?!" She exclaimed.

"Yeah! And he enrolled me in University too" i added.

"Congratulations sis" said Habeeb smiling from behind mom while Zahra just hissed disgusted, then turned and left.

"Why would Kaleem buy you are car?" Asked mother scrunching her face completely disgusted.

The grin on my face suddenly wears off reading her expression. Is she not happy with this? Isn't she the one who promises to buy me a car in the first place? And now that her son fulfilled it for her she's not delighted?.

"Hey call Kaleem here before he leaves" she ordered Habeeb.

He seemed confused but followed her order anyway.

After a while Kaleem, Aneel and Habeeb joined the 3 of us breaking the tensed silence.

"I'm here mother" he announced as he stood close to her and glancing at us.

"Is it true that you bought Noor a car?"

He nods "yes i used the company's card, she's supposed to start school so i thought she might need a personal car that's why I bought it"

"You did not use your money?" She asked furrowing her eyebrows but Kaleem seems unaffected, he must be used to this kind of reaction from her.

He shook his head "no!" He answered simply.

"Ok" she exhaled, then placed a small smile on her face and look back to me and Lailah whom just stood there idly like statues. "Then, congratulations on your new car my dear. Enjoy yourself" she says and left with Kaleem and Aneel following behind her after he waved me a goodbye and i waved back.

"Is that supposed to be positive or negative?" I asked Lailah still looking at the door through which mother exits.

"You should consider anything positive today. Don't let anything ruin your first day at school, okay?"

"Yeah you are right" i answered lightening up Again.

"I must be the first person to drive this car" Habeeb says snatching the keys from my hand "I'm free today anyway, I'm not going to work" he added shrugging.

"That's what you always do, don't you?" Answered Lailah.

"What do you mean by that's what i always do?"