chapter 68

NOOR

Kaleem anxiously pulled a white thobe/jallabiya over his head and grab his keys, i quickly followed him behind completely forgetting about Hidaya. I was crying my eyes out, but he's just silent, only that his whole body was shaking as he walks to his car and entered. I also seated myself in the passenger seat looking at how he's struggling just to insert the key and start the car, after about 3 unsuccessful trial, he finally cut his finger.

I gasped "Be careful yah Kaleem please" i grab his hand that's now as cold as ice. He didn't respond and just pulled the hand away, wiping the dripping blood on his white cloth, and started attempting to start the car again as Hidaya ran to the car excitedly.

"Daddy, i will follow you" she grinned but Kaleem was so lost to hear.

I wipe my tears and gestured for her to Come to my side. Instead of sitting with me in the passenger seat, she just sat by herself in the back seat, and Kaleem started the car immediately after.

Hidaya poked her head between our seats after we exited the gate, "Mom is something wrong?" She asked seeing how Kaleem is speeding and I'm still shedding tears.

I faked a smile and caress her cheek. "We're visiting your grands, but daddy will prefer silence right now."

She just nodded and rested back, but after a minute she magically started reciting the Qur'an from suratul A'ala in her melodious tiny voice that surprisingly Comfort us. I also rested back and close my eyes lip syncing with her and got myself consumed by it and forgot about everything for a while until we arrived at the mansion.

Kaleem exited the car without even parking, his fears becoming tangible seeing the amount of people going in and out of the mansion. Just as he was about to enter the main door, they brought out Khaleel tied in a white kaffan(shroud) sheet, prepared to be taken to his grave. He stepped back dumbfounded staring at the covered corpse.
He's really dead! His brother, his blood, his other half, his second self, his favorite person in the world, Khaleel! Is gone.

Unable to control his heart that's threatening to burst any moment, he let the tears of agony falls as he got on his knees and run his hand over his brother's arm inside the burial clothing. It isn't an illusion, he could recognize Khaleel by his little finger. he's not living, he isn't alive anymore, no more suffering, no more pain, no more machine and devices, no more coma. it's now just him, his deen and his deed, he will leave with nothing more, not a single penny he earned and not even his family, he'll leave alone, all alone!!!.

"Go and perform ablution so we can pray for him" father patted his shoulders, "you have to be strong, your prayers is all Khaleelullah needs"

He gathered his remaining strength and got back on his feet and someone brought water for him in a kettle. I then drag Hidaya inside to the ladies.

there, Lailah laid her head on mother's lap crying her eyes out, she looks miserable, really miserable and i can relate to how she's feeling, even though not exactly the same, i still know how it hurts when you lose a very dear one. She and Khaleel has a very beautiful memories plus two beautiful daughters, there's no way she won't feel an unbearable pain.

I thought mother won't be able to hold it if she loses any of her precious sons, i was disturbed but can't help and think about how she might be bawling and shouting, probably. but surprisingly, she just sat there, silent, with a tally counter on her index finger, her lips slowly parting as a sign of her making Dua for the deceased.

Nimrah was also crying checking behind the window curtain and calling for her Dad. She won't stop even when someone tries to console her, and doing that is definitely distressing her mom more, so Hidaya ran and hug her