chapter 35

KALEEM

6 months later.

4 days to Aneel & Zahra's wedding.

We were currently sitting on the dining table having breakfast. I am really uncomfortable eating around 21 people but i couldn't escape it either, else Inna (grandma) will kill me or my aunts might go directly into my room and drag me here unbothered even if I'm half naked. That's why i decided to respect myself and eat peacefully with them even though this breakfast is not exactly peaceful. Why? Listen!.

"Musah!" Inna called.

It took me a while to realise that she was talking me, so i frowned.
"It's kaleemullah inna"

"See! I don't have the energy to call that long ABCD that your mother used to hide your real names"

Habeeb who's sitting beside her accidentally hissed, and without hesitation she gave him a hard slap on his lap which made him yelp in pain. "You stupid boy, how dare you his at me? I gave birth to your father and even he dared not disrespect me"

She glare at him before turning back to me and shook her hands in the air, the 10 to 15 gold bangles she's wearing making a weird sound.
"Anyways, Musah!" She called again and I decided to ignore her but mother slapped me on my shoulder.

"Didn't you hear your grandma calling?"

"Just leave him, he heard me well and clear, 'iyashege ne kawai na yaran zamani' (it's just the shenanigan of children nowadays) but that won't stop me from saying what i want to say"

"I'm full" i stood up putting my fork down.

"Hey Aliyyu" she called my father, or let me say her son.
"Make your son sit down and listen to me or i will disown you right now"

Before i could move, one of my uncles has already drag me down by my shirt, forcing me to sit again. And my father looks really disturbed.
"I'm sorry Innah" he says and look at me "Kaleem get into your right senses"

"Sorry father" i apologized.

"So you can apologise to your father but not me? His mother? Whom you wronged?"

"I'm sorry Innah" i apologise to cut the chase.

She pushed her head tie to her forehead, picking her red teeth which she gets from eating colanut, with a toothpick.

"Your friend Aneel..."

"Yes?" Answered Aneel.

"I'm not talking to you, you already escaped it, I'm trying to have conversation with your bachelor friend".

"Ok" he nods and focused back on his food.

She then continued "Your friend Aneel, who is your partner in crimes, and your partner in trying to shun away the prophet (s.a.w) Sunnah, has now repented and is going to get married. What about you?"

I knew it, i already knew we are coming to this, but has she waited a little longer she would've gotten the news soon without asking.

I sighed "I'm also getting married soon"

"Soon when? You've been saying this soon for over five years now! Or is the rumor spreading true?"

"Which rumor?" Asked Zahra and Habeeb in unison.

She ignores them and bend across the table, whispering to me. "..that you are impotent" when we are about 10 feet apart, so obviously everyone can hear what she's saying.

"What?"

"If it's true then i know of a herbalist than can cure you, seriously his work is as sharp as a knife, he will make you healthy again and you will be able to ride any girl you like..."

The sound of cough from Noor who suddenly choke on her food makes her stop, and she turned to look at her.
"Don't worry I'm coming to you very soon, let me just finish with your big brother okay?"

"I'm healthy Innah, please stop talking rubbish"

"Am i the one talking rubbish dan uwarka?! (Your mother*Insult*) or do you want me to insults your father? Shegen yaro(bastard). I'm trying to save your life and image but you dare disregard me?"

I'm getting tired of this seriously, that's why I especially hate weddings in this house, because of this old humiliation called a grandma.

"And you" she turned to Noor pointing at her with a dirty toothpick.
"It will be better for you to get married while you are still young. You might not be fortunate like my grandchildren so it's better not to expect too much and just find a guy from a well reputed family even if it's not as rich as this one and get married. You are even lucky to get adopted into this family atleast you've gotten a good image"

Noor's head was dung since she started talking and i noticed her wiping away a tear. I feel so bad but I don't dare open my mouth to say anything because I didn't escaped it either.

Zahra stood up and holds her hand dragging her up "let's go and prepare for the henna ceremony, the henna Artists are already here"

I feel so thankful when Zahra took her away so i also excuse myself even though Innah claims she's not done talking, but I'm done listening to her since she made my dear sister cry.

.......

"Here are the new papers regarding the inheritance" i heard an unfamiliar voice said from the guest parlor.

I entered with a 'salam' and saw mother browsing through some papers sitting across her lawyer, and a manilla envelope sat on the table beside her.

"Mother did you call for me?" I asked sitting down.

"Yeah i need your signature here" she answered handing me the blueprints.

"What's this?" I asked confused after taking a look at them.

"I've excluded Noor from inheriting the wealth that's supposed to be for you and your siblings"

"What??!"

"She doesn't deserve it, what we are giving her right now is enough for her so she should pray for our long life so that she will not go back to poverty very soon"

I was dumbfounded, can mother really do that?'

"She's Khaleel's donor! Her organ is making him stay alive. I really can't do that" i declared standing up.

"Then i will make Khaleel do it"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Much love ❤️
Ummu Najma 🥰