chapter 31

Kaleem's POV

"Please Aneel tell me Noor will be fine" i begged anxiously. Noor has been unconscious since we left the event venue and she's now taken to the emergency room to fight and save her life.

"She will be fine Kaleem if you please wait outside" answered Aneel doing his work. How am i even allowed to enter the emergency room? He doesn't know. But he has a strong feeling that I fight the nurses to stay here and.... I did! I can't just leave Noor in the state she was in because of me and do nothing.

I wanted to cry but I can't find my tears and I'm feeling sincerely terrible. "Tell me she will open her eyes please, tell me she will be okay" i added almost in a whisper gazing at the lifeless figure of Noor lying on the bed while the doctors sorrounded her trying their best to save her.

Aneel handed another doctor the injection he was holding and walk to me, grabbing me by my arm and forcefully dragging me outside.
"Wait here please Kaleem if you want Noor to be fine, be a man and get ahold of yourself please"

"Not again Aneel! I killed Yasmeenah I can't kill Noor again, I'm turning to be a murderer and a monster, i will never be able to forgive myself if something happens to Noor. Please save her Aneel she really means a lot to me!"

Zahra put one hand around my shoulder and pulled herself closer to me. She rested her head on my arm and the other hand over my chest, and that surprisingly conforted Me.

"Calm down yah Kaleem, Noor will be with us again insha Allah, she will fight it okay?!"

I just nodded and leaned more on Zahra while Aneel went back to continue his work.

....

Few tense hours passed, and it's past 1 eventually. I made Aneel to go home after he's done with the good work because he has early morning shift tomorrow and so he took Zahra along with him.
Noor is now out of danger but she's still unconscious.

I sat at the far end of the room silently watching her breath softly with the aid of oxygen mask. she looks like a different person not the active and ever challenging Noor that i knew. She's not like that innocent soft looking yet stubborn nature, cute, mysterious woman i am always curious about..with those red allergy rashes on her face.

I did wrong to her, even though my intensions are right. I fed her poison while trying to give her sweet. I gave her death while trying to create life for her....
My thoughts were brought to a pause when the door squeaks open and a nurse entered. She didn't say anything to me and just started checking on Noor.

"How is she?" I asked the nurse after a few seconds.

"I don't know yet, will find out only after she regains consciousness, but I'm certain she's out of danger" her voice surprises me and before i could call out her name she turned to me. Hudah! It's her. How didn't i recognize her earlier? Maybe because i was distracted by Noor's condition.

"Yah Leem, it's been long, how are you?" She asked looking straight into my eyes.

"F..fine" i stutter softly trying to break eye contact with her. it's coming back! The anxiety, the horror! Yasmeenah's face just kept flashing in my eyes and I'm trying my best to escape the panic attack right now, i need to be strong for Noor.

"Yeah you seemed fine, and I'm glad that you overcame your anxiety and I'm sure yah Yasmeenah will be glad too" she finished with a smile.

I just nodded and put the back of my hand to wipe the sweat off my forehead.

"I heard you went to my parents house yesterday, why didn't you look for me?"
She continued.

"I thought you were not home"

"Yes i was not, but i would have rush back there if you had called"

"Ohh" i exhaled and didn't say anything further.

"Yah Leem!" she called silently but loud enough for me to hear.

I raised my head to put my bloodshot eyes in hers but didn't answer and she gave me a look that makes my adrenaline drops.

"I have graduated last month and i directly got a job here" she announced

I bit on my lower lip and manage to put on a small smile "Oh, congratulations"

"Thank you" she also smiled and sighed "if yah Yasmeenah was here, she would have been really happy and...."

"Why do you keep bringing her up?" I yelled a little bit pissed.

She looked at me for a moment before she apologized "I'm sorry, i thought she atleast deserves to be remembered often"

"Are you trying to make me feel guilty again? You want me back in the rehab right? It's not my fault that Yasmeenah... No. I killed her yes! But i Never deny it. I don't understand why you didn't punish me already if you will keep taunting me like this!" I shouted at Hudah finally getting out of control. Yeah no matter how hard I try I can't control myself when it comes to Yasmeenah.

"No that's not the case. I just want her dying wish to be remembered. You promised to get married to me instead but ever since she passed away, you just kept running away. Are you trying to break that promise?"

_____________________________

"Aneel it's yass..yamm.. Yasmeenah.." i stutter frightened "listen... I.. I.pushed her.. no... i t..t.threw her off.. the cliff..she's g..going to diee...please doon't let her die p..leease Aneel" i cried in a hoarse and sore voice from crying. My face is wholly covered in bruises and my left arm is broken while my right wrist is fractured, my knees are both wounded and my forehead and mouth are busted. Blood dripping down from me like sweat and my pure white shirt is now bloody red.

"We will save her Kaleem, trust me. But let us help you please" he said trying to drag me onto the bed but i refused.

"Just leave me and go to her!" I yelled. "If she dies i will die too Aneel, please".

He made me sit on a chair bitting on my lips and hissing in pain.
I noticed him eyeing someone behind me so i quickly turned. I saw a nurse holding an injection trying to stab me with it to get me unconscious so they could treat me.

"Don't do it please" i begged grabbing ahold of his hand, and wacking down the injection from his hand.

"Where are patient no 017 guardians doctor Aneel?" Asked another doctor.

I stood up abruptly pointing at my chest. "I... I'm here".

Just then Hudah and Yasmeenah's mother and her aunt entered the emergency ward.

They were about to ask the receptionist when they spotted me and rushed over. Yasmeenah's mother put her hand over her mouth to stop herself from crying out loud when she came close to me. She might probably be thinking that if I'm in this state and waiting outside then how about Yasmeenah who's inside?.

The doctor that spoke with me earlier walked up to them and explained that Yasmeenah needs to undergo surgery and they immediately agreed to it there by signing the papers.

After a couple of minutes they came pushing her to the operation theatre and she plead to them to stop Midway so we could speak.

We all rushed to her and i grab her hand inside mine which made her winced in pain.
"Lee.. it hurts" she blurts crying "my back really hurts" she weeps and her voice cracks.

"I'm sorry Yasmeen, i should've..." I started to say but she stops me by holding my broken hand, and i couldn't even winced nor yelped. She's hurting better than I am how could I be so cruel enough to show that I'm in pain.

She released my fractured wrist and hold her sisters hand. Seeing that Hudah also moved closer to her, weeping.

She puts Hudah's hand in mine and folds her hand around them.
"Leem... Please..." That's the only statement she makes and released our hands.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
What do you think Yasmeenah actually wanted to tell Kaleem? Is it to marry Hudah instead of her or something else?🤷

Ummu Najma 🥰