chapter 52

KALEEM

"Please! This whole inheritance thing isn't going to work for us. I no longer have interest in it so just set me free"

I exhaled! hadn't realized i was holding my breath since her first statement until now. I stood up and stare at her face for a moment. Her eyes were saying so many things but i couldn't understand what. I slid my hands into my pocket then turned and walk away.

I AM flabbergasted but can't just decide on what to say or do. I've never in my worst nightmare thought that a day will come when Noor will utter those words to me.

Did i hurt her that much? Was i that horrible?

I didn't get to the door when Noor rushed to stop me, standing in front of me, sobbing.
"Yah Kaleem please set me free, i Can't do this any longer"

I removed my hands then grip her shoulders, she slowly closed her eyes shut, shivering and her lips tremble.

"What have I done to deserve this Noorie?"

"I just can't... Please.."

"I'm sorry! I will apologise however you want me to but stop what you're doing please"

"I'm not doing anything, I'm not even trying to make this work. I.. i just wanna be free! I'm feeling like.. like I'm going to... suffocate and die here" she burst out crying harder.

I just don't know what to do. I'm not ready for this, there's no way I'm divorcing Noor, ever!

I caress her warm and wet cheeks, bending a little to match her height.
"Just wait i will make everything right okay?..."

She quickly shook her head "no ple..."

"..I slacked, but I promise i will make this work, you don't even have to do anything, just hang on and be patient"

She's still trying to protest so unsure of what to do, i just pulled her in a hug feeling her warm tears on my chest.
We stood there for a while and she'd not stopped crying so i pulled away and started wiping her red face.

"Get some rest i will be back" i said and exit the room.

.....

I rub my temples in dejection "I will soon go crazy again. Just make sure you got me admitted to the psychiatric and not rehab when that happens"

Aneel chuckled and took a sip from his black coffee that we both ordered to agonise with us.

He grimaced at it's bitter taste and put it away. "I'm sure this coffee is more horrible than your situation"

I glare at him "are you being serious right now?"

"Ofcourse! Someone who got married just 3 months ago won't relate to what you're saying. And you too!"

I nodded at his stupid thought "what if the marriage is about to break and the wife is asking for a divorce?"

His jaw dropped "what?!.."

"Yes. Noor is asking for a divorce Aneel, out of the blues"

"But why?"

"Just me being a complete idiot. i failed to take care of her like i promised to and she's distressed and sad. So she said she wants to be free."
I exhaled "i was stressed out Aneel, i was living under the same roof as Noor but i have no idea of how she's doing, what she's going through or what she's thinking. I don't even know she was sick even though I've scolded her like 5 times this month"

He hissed "you're really a jerk! Even i knows that Noor wasn't healthy ages ago."

"I know that i am, but I want to change For Noor's sake. I can't live without her Aneel. Just having her tied to my fate is enough to keep me going. but when she's hurting, then i don't know if i made the right decision anymore."