Betrayed

You felt Bucky's arms around you before you even realised you had dropped to the floor. You felt yourself struggling to breathe, trying to comprehend what Bucky had just said to you.

Your father ordered a hit on your mother.

Your mother had been dating Nick Fury.

The two sentences repeated themselves in your head over and over. Tony was still standing by the desk, frozen in shock, like he couldn't even process the thoguht of it. It was a few minutes before you felt Bucky's chin resting on top of your head, his body enveloping yours as he held you close to him, and as selfish as it was, you took the chance to wrap your arms back around him once you regained the sensation in your fingers.

When the moment started to dwindle, Bucky starting to shift back, inhale, ready to explain that this clearly didn't mean he was taking you back, you quickly pushed him off of you and wiped your face dry. Then you grabbed the invoice, the pictures, and stormed out of the room.

You heard his footsteps thudding behind you shortly after.

"Where are you going?" He asked, but now it was your turn to ignore him. Your emotions were running wild, but you were sure it was your anger fueling your legs, making your stomach churn.

"You need to calm down." He urged as he followed you. "Luka -"

"Were you calm when you came here? Thinking I was in danger?" You retorted, spinning round to face him and making him shut up. "I didn't think so. You were ready to kill him yourself. So don't you tell me to fucking calm down when he killed my fucking mother. Now if you don't mind, this is between me and him." You spat, stepping forward, taking your knife back from his waistband, and shifting the items in your hands so that you had your knife in one hand, the photos and invoice in the other, and your gun back in your waistband.

You and Bucky were completely silent as you got back to the room your father was tied up in. But he was waking up.

"What the hell are you doing Elizabeth?" Adrian mumbled as he shifted to sit up. You knelt in front of him and shoved the pictures in his face.

"Tell me what this is." You said.

Adrian grinned. You dug your knife against his throat. Then he laughed.

"It's your mother." He replied. "Being a whore. Just like yo-"

Bucky had pulled you back, stepped in front of you and punched Adrian round the face, making his head ricochet off the table leg he was tied to. Bucky grabbed the front of his shirt and held his face close.

"I dare you to try that again." Bucky warned, but Adrian just kept smiling, the blood seeping through his teeth, that he tried (and failed) to lick away. "Did you have her killed?"

"She deserved it." Adrian replied. You felt your heart break. "She didn't even try to hide it. So I made an example of her."

"You said...you said Nick killed her." You said shakily, watching your father's eyes dart to you, like he was shocked you were speaking. Bucky let go of him as you approached.

"I said that he was the reason she was dead, and he was. He slept with my wife. I couldn't exactly kill him, he was my second in command. But he needed to be punished for his actions."

"So what? She meant less to the organisation? To you?" You asked, crying as you listened to his explanation. "You ordered these people to kill her because you were a horrible husband and she wanted someone else?!"

Adrian tugged angrily against his restraints, clearly wanting to hit you for your remark. The action made you flinch, despite the fact that he couldn't get anywhere close to you.