Chapter 4

I hurry back over and crouch on the floor to see his face. "Did I hurt you?"

He keeps his mouth covered and shakes his head.

That wasn't very reassuring, but I don't have time for this. I need to get to practice.

-

The following day, I meet with Tweek and Craig in the library. I immediately start working on my debate project. We are still in the research phase, and I'm doing the work of two people, on top of helping Scott.

Craig sits next to me as I type on my laptop. "What's this?"

"Debate project."

"Oh, Tweek and I did that last semester. It's a three-person project though, why are you doing so much? You have so many tabs."

"One of the group members flaked out, the other is Scott."

"Ohh... This must be torture for you."

"It is. I'm trying to teach Scott how to speak properly. We meet after school to do that, so I don't have time for this."

"You're meeting with Scott every day after school? What about practice?"

"I'm also doing that."

"Dude, I think you have too much on your plate."

"Probably. But I don't have a choice."

"Don't overwork yourself, the student body will kill you if you screw up the game."

"Yeah, yeah. I know."

"Why do you hate Scott so much?" Tweek asks

Craig cuts in, "Babe, I don't think you should ask-"

"No, it's fine. We used to be friends back in elementary school, not best friends or anything but we hung out a few times. After my mom died I started distancing myself from people. I couldn't stand his voice when I was in that mental state, so I just stopped talking to him. Not sure when, but at some point everything he did started to annoy me."

"Not a very good reason to hate someone..."

"Hate is a strong word I guess. He just really annoys me. He's a total nerd now. I don't have anything against nerds, but he just... everything he does adds up."

Tweek looks at Craig. "Isn't that how you felt when you first became my friend all those years ago? You told me I was annoying."

Craig sighs. "I try not to think about that."

They turn to each-other and start whispering. Usually this would annoy me but I've got too much to do. I don't have time to be annoyed. Maybe that's why Scott hasn't been as much of a bother, if I don't have time to get annoyed, I don't have time to get upset with him.

The bell rings. I take a deep breath to prepare myself for class. I'm exhausted already. Today is going to be a long day.