Chapter 52

My dad agreed to go to Thanksgiving at Scott's house. He said he wants to meet my boyfriend's parents.

According to Scott, his parents don't know that I'm his boyfriend. He plans to tell them at this dinner which is a little bit scary to me.

Time flies by and before I know it, it's Thanksgiving morning. My dad got up early and showered so that I could shower with warm water before we left. He always uses up the hot water when he showers.

At 3 pm we get ready to head out. I never understood why people eat so early on Thanksgiving.

My dad fidgets as he drives. I think he's more nervous than I am.

"Clyde. You said he is diabetic right? We need to make sure we respect whatever food they make."

"Dad, I don't think-"

"No! We shouldn't go in with any expectations. We don't want to prepare for something that might not happen. Oh... but it's good to be prepared for anything..."

"Dad. Why are you so nervous? It's just a diner."

He sighs and rubs his forehead. "We haven't been to a big family Thanksgiving since your mom passed."

"We went to Craig's house almost every year."

"But this is your boyfriend's family, I want to impress them."

"Don't worry too much, Dad. I'm sure they're just glad Scott is inviting anyone at all."

"Have you met them? Are his parent's nice people?"

"Uh... I have seen them a few times but I don't think I've ever talked to them..."

"I guess we can just hope for the best."

We arrive at Scott's house. He opens the door and runs out as the car pulls up. Once I step out he gives me a hug.

"Looks like someone is excited."

He smiles. "I am!"

"You just ran over to me like a dog who missed his owner."

"I did miss you!"

"Okay. You can't say that kinda stuff at the table. I want to stay cool, I don't want to lose my composure over how cute you are."

He takes my hand and drags me into my house. My dad follows behind us. 

A man and a woman stand in the kitchen. The man is balding and has uneven stubble. The woman has brown hair and glasses, she looks kinda awkward. How did two people like this make such a pretty son?

My dad steps forward. "Hi, I'm Clyde's dad. You can call me Roger."

The man steps forward. "Clark. Good to meet you, Roger."

I don't know why but his dad really creeps me out.

The woman steps forward after him. "I'm Ellen. Welcome to our home. The food is almost ready if you want to take a seat at the table."

Dad and I take our seats. Scott sits happily next to me. He has so much more energy than his parents. It's like they somehow raised a polar opposite of themselves.