Chapter 37

School always goes by slower when you're excited about something. The teacher in first period gave a lecture the whole time so I couldn't talk to Scott. We waved at each other in the hallway too but that's about it.

I don't know where he sits at lunch, but I would love to meet his friends. Wasn't he with Butters at the party? Maybe he eats with him. 

I find Butters eating with a group of boys, but none of them are Scott. I don't know Butters very well but since he's a social butterfly he has spoken to me enough times.

"Hey, Butters?"

"Well, heya Clyde! What's up?"

"Do you ever eat lunch with Scott Malkinson?"

"No, I don't. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, I was just trying to find him but I guess he isn't here."

"He eats in the library."

"He does? Why?"

"I'm not sure... You should ask him."

"Okay. Thanks for the help."

"No problem!"

The library is very empty at lunchtime, almost as empty as it is in the mornings. There are a few kids studying, but I don't see Scott... Where does he run off to?

The librarian is doing a Rubix cube, since she doesn't look too busy, I'll ask her. 

"Excuse me?"

"Hello. How may I help you?"

"Uhm... Do you know if a kid named Scott is here? He volunteers in the mornings sometimes..?"

"Malkinson is in the book room."

"Book room? Isn't this entire place a book room?"

"No, we keep old books that no one checks out in a different room to make room for new ones on the shelves."

"Where is the book room?"

"It's the door in the back left corner."

"Can I go in?"

"If you're a friend of Scott then I suppose... But if he doesn't want you there I'll have to kick you out. It's only for use of library personnel."

"Thank you."

I approach the gray door in the back corner. It blends in with the wall. I always thought this was a storage closet or something, who knew there was an entire room back here?

I open the door. It's like another mini library in here. It kinda reminds me of an archives room. It's a bit darker than the other rooms at this school. There are 5 bookshelves lined up vertically down the middle, creating four pathways.

I accidentally close the door louder than I should've. That door is a lot heavier than it looks.

"Hello?" Scott calls from what sounds like the opposite corner of the room.

I start walking towards the other end. "Scott? It's Clyde."

"Oh, I'm over here." He peeks out from a little nook he was sitting in. 

"There you are."

"How did you know I was here?"

"Uh, I saw you talking with Butters at the party, so I thought you might eat lunch with him. He told me you eat in the library, and then the librarian told me you were in here."

"Such a wild goose chase. You could've texted and I would've met with you."

"I guess I wanted to surprise you. Can I sit?"

"Please."

I sit on the floor across from him, resting my back against a bookshelf.