Chapter 6

It's almost time for practice. I guess I won't be seeing him after school for a few days. I'll still see him in class though.

"Hey, Scott? Are you coming to Tolkien's party on Friday?"

"I wath'nt going to. Why? Do you want me to go?"

"I think it would be fun. You should go."

"Okay... I'll be there."

"Cool. See you in class tomorrow."

"Right..."

-

The big game... everyone has been telling me that I need to do good today. I think they're trying to be supportive and motivate me, but this is a lot of pressure. I'm not sure I can pull it off.

In first period I sit with Scott. I don't say anything, I'm so stressed and I can't keep my thoughts in order.

"Clyde? Are you okay?" Scott asks slowly.

"Yeah, sorry. Did I miss something?"

"No... just wanted to know... if you were okay. You're really out of it."

"Oh. I'm just stressed is all. There's a lot of people counting on me to win tonight." I try to give a convincing smile.

"Stop... thinking about them. You like... the sport... right? So play... for your..self. Have fun!"

"I hadn't really thought about it being fun. It was fun before all this pressure. You're right. I'll just try to enjoy it."

He smiles, "Good! I'm glad."

He's talking slow so that he won't lisp. I think he's trying his best to sound genuine. I think he's trying to cheer me up.

Cute.

Oh. No, that's not right... stop thinking, brain! Stop thinking... about how cute he-

"AAHH!" I violently ruffle my hair. Trying to stop these intrusive thoughts.

"Whath wrong??"

I look up at him, he looks worried.

"Nothing... just needed to scream, sometimes that's just what you gotta do... haha..."

"Okay...?"

"Haha..."

"Do You mind if I take the paperth home for the weekend? I jutht wanna check them."

"Oh, sure. Here."

I hand him my research papers and he puts them neatly in a red folder.

-

Shit. I'm so nervous... the game starts in half an hour. I can hear the seats filling up outside.

The team and I are all in the locker rooms, waiting to be called out.

This game is against our rivals. A school that has been neck and neck with us for as long as I've gone to school here. The morale of the entire school counts on me leading this team to victory.

As I get into uniform, I hear a group of boys talking. A few of my teammates. One of them is Dave but I can't quite place the others.

I'm changing in a stall, so they don't see me.

"So fucking annoying. Honestly, he has too much confidence. If I had a lisp like that I would know my place. He needs to keep his head down. No one wants to hear that annoying voice."

"You're talking about Scott, right? Kid with diabetes?"

"Yeah."

"I completely understand. He ruins the vibe of any room he's in. He needs to be taught a lesson."