7.7

Sacrifice

The word bounced around Lennox's mind. In so many words, Evelyn had told her exactly what her destiny was supposed to be. 

"Sacrifice," She whispered to herself. 

Evelyn put her hand on Lennox's cheek. "My sweet girl." 

But all Lennox could see when she looked at her mother was the friend who'd been sacrificed for her. 

"You want me to sacrifice myself, to become Ekaterina." 

Her mother beamed with relief that she'd understood what she had to do. "Think about the gift you have Lennox. What you would be giving her. Her spirit is trapped in this house, the same way it has been for centuries, you are the only one who can release her. Think about the power you would be responsible for bringing into the world, you could change everything." She tried. 

Lennox shook her head, slowly pulling back from her mother. "I don't want to change everything." 

"Lennox," 

"No." 

"Our bloodline is depending on you-" 

"No! Please, I don't want to do this," 

She knew that her mother wouldn't hurt her if she tried to run, so she did. Hearing her mother's voice call after her, she climbed the stairs and ran through the manor, out into the field and up towards the forest as fast as she could. As the edge of the forest approached, she put her arms up to shield herself from whatever barrier might be up to stop her escaping, and her instinct to protect herself proved useful as she forced her way through the barrier, feeling it break upon impact. She saw the wave of energy ripple across the tree line, stopping as she felt whatever power she had hum across her hands before quickly picking up her pace. As if by magic, the closer Lennox got to the main road the more easily she could see Jay, stood by his charger at the trail entrance, who turned in her direction when he heard somebody running towards him. Upon seeing Lennox he frowned in utter shock and confusion. 

"Lennox?" He walked away from the car towards her, and instinctually braced himself for impact as she ran directly into his arms. 

"How did you know I was here?" She asked quickly. 

"I traced your phone, what happened? What are you doing out here?" 

"Please just get me out of here, take me home." 

"I got you, lets go get in the car."