Chapter 51: Fried Horse Mackerel Aims for Being a Mob

I arrived in town. I had sweated quite a bit from running. As I entered, the air conditioning was working well, making it cool... or rather, it might even be a bit chilly.

Well, I had been sweating, so this temperature is just right.

I was grateful that I had asked the old lady for directions to the town hall.

"Excuse me, is the mayor here?"

"Well, what is your business?"

"I'd like to ask about the town's folklore."

"Ah, I see. He certainly knows a lot about it. Please wait a moment."

The middle-aged male staff member went into a room in the back. After a few minutes, he returned.

"I have obtained permission for you. However, please be aware that the mayor is quite temperamental, so please be understanding."

"Understood."

I was guided into a room where photos of past mayors were displayed. There was also a luxurious-looking desk and sofa. And there sat the grumpy old man in all his temperamental glory.

"So, you're the young person who wants to know about the town's folklore? But to divulge the folklore of this town so easily to an outsider..."

"Rather than folklore, I want to know how to deal with the 'Yumekui.' Ah, here's a steamed bun."

"Hmph, it's a pain to be tempted with something like this."

He said that while placing the steamed bun next to him.

"Now then, regarding the 'Yumekui'..."

He got straight to the point, which was helpful. I didn't really want to hear lectures and complaints.

"It's an entity that has existed for over five hundred years, and no one in this town believes in it anymore. There are exceptions, though... This yokai takes the form of an elephant and infiltrates people, putting a heavy burden on their minds."

"What's the method to deal with it?"

"Sealing it with Onmyodo is the safest option."

"I can't use that. Are there any other methods?"

"Hmm, this is quite a difficult method, but..."

"Don't worry about it, please tell me."

"Hmm, the 'Yumekui' contaminates people's minds. But if you can freely manipulate your own dreams, you might be able to defeat it... "

"Dreams, you say..."

"Experiences in dreams don't have a one-to-one reflection in reality. However, if you experience nightmares repeatedly, it will have a significant impact on your mind. The deceased ones ended up like vegetative humans."

"Indeed, dreams do have some influence on reality..."

When I had the dream of being stabbed by Gindou Kohaku before, I instinctively touched my stomach when I woke up. Well, it seems that dreams are indeed the only solution, as the old lady said...

"But the same applies to yokai. If dreams that are incredibly close to reality can have a significant impact on the human mind, it wouldn't be surprising if yokai's minds are also affected."

"I-I see...?"

"That's as far as my knowledge goes."

"How can I manipulate dreams, then?"

"That... I can't explain it well."

"...That's fine."

"...You need intense, clear, and vivid imagery."