Chapter 57: The end of fried horse mackerel

"So, about your recent recommendation, 'The Unrivaled Heroic Tale of the Weakest Sage.' The title may seem contradictory, but in light novel titles, 'weakest' and 'strongest' are almost synonymous, so there's no problem there. And with the addition of 'unrivaled,' it's a book that makes you want to pick it up. It looks interesting, doesn't it?"

"As expected of you, Izayoi! You really understand these things deeply!"

"Oh, well, not really."

"It's fun talking with you again, Izayoi... By the way, I have another recommendation!"

The first half of her words were spoken in a small voice, but I could hear them clearly, making it difficult to respond. It makes me happy, but... When I parted with her at the school entrance, other students were talking about "Hero," and I can't help but feel uncomfortable.

◆◆◆

As I entered the classroom, all the students looked at me. Some with admiration, some with concern, and some with eyes that treated me like trash. I glanced at Gindou Kohaku 's seat and saw her back.

And then, a pitch-black aura...

Not good, I'm being misunderstood. And if things go wrong, it might turn into some kind of dream-like development. Well, I don't think that would actually happen.

"You... You managed to show up, huh?"

"It's been a while, Sasamoto."

"Took a week off and went to a festival with a girl. It's quite impressive. Look at the admiring gazes from these guys and the eyes of the girls that treat you like trash."

"I can't say anything."

"At least do something about Kohaku-chan. She's even worse than during the sports festival."

"I know... And here, I brought this as a souvenir."

"What's this?"

"An erotic novel."

"Thanks!"

Now, how should I approach her and start a conversation... Lunch break seems like a good time when we have some free time.

◆◆◆

"Uhm, Gindou-san..."

During the lunch break, I gathered my courage and spoke to her. The class had been abnormally long, and the atmosphere in the classroom was terrible. I felt intense stares from everyone, as if they were blaming me.

"...Is there something wrong!?"

In an instant of silence, she cheerfully replied. That, in turn, was terrifying. Behind her smiling eyes, I sensed something unsettling, almost madness.

"Well, do you have a little time?"

"Of course, I do!... I was actually planning to come and get you during the lunch break too..."

She skillfully used the high-and-low tone of her voice. It made me break into a cold sweat even more, and my legs began to tremble uncontrollably. I wanted to run away out of fear, but if I postponed it now, I had a premonition that things would only get worse. So, I needed to clear up her misunderstanding.

"Well, then... Let's go to the rooftop..."

"Yes, let's go."

Alright! I managed to call her out! As I was about to head to the rooftop with her, I locked eyes with Noguchi Natsuko, who was sitting behind Gindou Kohaku's seat.

She held up a piece of paper with some words written on it, trying to make it visible to me. What could it be? Advice, perhaps?

[Die once]