Chapter 18: Mob to serve as presenter

The time is just before the start of the sixth period. The fifth period is over and everyone is relaxing as it is recess time. However, I was a little nervous because I had to be the presenter for the next period. I had read yesterday's materials at home and had done my homework to make sure everything would go smoothly.

Will the teacher help me? No, he'll probably leave it all to the first-year A class to develop independence and let the students solve problems together. Will this class listen to me?

"Take your seats."

At the teacher's command, everyone takes their seats and the mood for the start of class begins to build. However, Rikudou-sensei didn't stand up in front of the class and sat down on his chair. I guess I'm the teacher today, huh?

"Kuroda-kun is in charge today. Kuroda-kun, I'll leave it to you."

"Yes."

"Then, I'll start explaining about the sports festival."

The explanation will be brief. Let me start with an explanation of the tug of war, which is a joint event, but it's not that much of an explanation. In a nutshell, it is a contest in which everyone competes against each other, and even children know the rules.

"So, that's it. For the individual competitions, one male and one female will be selected. The individual competitions include a scavenger hunt, a bread-eating contest, and a three-legged race."

The room begins to buzz. The boys were particularly responsive. Sasamoto raises his hand and questions me.

"Sensei! Does that mean that men and women will do the three-legged race? Can we have hand-to-body contact?"

 I'm not a Sensei. I might be a little taken back by the fact that he's really straightforward about his desires, but he's an adolescent, so I guess you could say he can't help it but be curious. Besides, if someone told me I could do a three-legged race with a woman, it would be impossible for me not to be conscious of it.

"I'm not a Sensei, but Sasamoto, that's a way put it. But if you don't like it, you can choose not to participate in the three-legged race."

This is not to say that there isn't a procedure for this. It is a natural decision that this cannot be forced while there is a possibility that some students do not want to be quite too close to the opposite sex.

"Ah! I see!"

"Participation is optional, huh..."

"I'll definitely be rejected. ......"

The boys were instantly discouraged. I guess they decided that they would be rejected even if they participated.

"Now, is there anyone who wants to compete in the individual events? If so, could you please raise your hand?"

Who would like to do that? People who don't want to stand out or who are not good at sports will not run themselves, but there are surprisingly few people who don't fall into both of these categories, so it may take some time before a decision is made.

Everyone looked at each other and seemed to be wondering what to do, but then suddenly an unexpected person raised his hand.

"Uhm, I'll do it."