Chapter 118: Right or wrong.

[Kohaku PoV]

I thought that doing things for someone else was meaningless.

I had a friend—or at least, that's what I thought back then. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. But at that time, I genuinely believed that we were friends. So, when that person tried to sit down, I would pull the chair away and pretend to fall intentionally. When they spilled their lunch, I would try to stop them and clean up the mess they made on their uniform.

[This isn't worth it. Please stop.]

I would intervene, try to prevent such incidents, and do my best. I protected them with all my might. I didn't want gratitude or material rewards. I just treasured having a precious friend.

But because of that, the bullying was redirected towards me. The person I thought was my friend joined the bullies, and it became unbearable. My efforts were meaningless, and that person, who I thought was a friend, was just another stranger.

I began to think that doing something for someone else was all wrong.

Even acts of courage and self-sacrifice were all futile. Worthless, like garbage. I couldn't trust anyone, couldn't believe in anything. I felt invalidated in every way until I met him.

Talking to him, looking at his back, it felt like everything was being rewarded. My frozen heart began to thaw. What I had done wasn't in vain, wasn't garbage. He said the thing I wanted to hear the most.

It made me happy, incredibly happy.

And now, I felt guilty. I had started to want him. There had been times when I thought the harem option was a good idea. But the moment I sensed the possibility of him being taken away by everyone, I was terrified.

Now, I'm here with him.

We share the same bed. Last night, we held each other closely, not in a weird way, but simply cuddling. I fell asleep like that, leaning on him.

He didn't say a word about everyone else. No, I didn't let him.

Everyone... Aoi-senpai, Moegi-senpai, Karen-senpai. I feel genuinely sorry for them. They must resent me. I ruined the fact that we both had feelings for him.

I couldn't trust those people completely. I didn't have the strength to believe. Despite spending such fun times together, relying on each other as underclassmen, having each other's backs in battles, I couldn't trust them. I couldn't let go of the possibility of being betrayed again.

I feel strongly that I'm flawed. I have rejected the idea of believing. I've rejected it, I'm afraid, and I still haven't overcome it.

But if I could overcome it...

No, it's too late. I have no reason, no right, no meaning for thinking such things when I've already thrown everything away.

I got up from the bed and started making breakfast.

◆◆◆

[Izayoi PoV]

I've been thinking for a long time. What should I do? What is the right course of action?

I'm sure she has been thinking about everyone too. Without a doubt, Aoi-senpai, Moegi-senpai, and Karen-senpai are important to her. So, convincing her isn't something I can take lightly.

She said she would let go. I wonder if she genuinely means it, if it's a lie, or if she's saying it unconsciously while feeling something else deep down.

But deep down, I think she can't really let go. Maybe that's just what I want to believe. I pushed her into this situation. Should I burden her any further?