Chapter 9: A Council Meeting

(Three days later)

Y/N's P.O.V

So the past few days have gone by pretty quick.

The Fire Ferrets have gotten to the finals of the Pro-Bending Championship.

Mako and Asami are now together too. They seem to be getting along well.

I still haven't had the change to talk to Korra about my feelings yet. It feels like there hasn't been the right time.

Anyway, right now all of us are going to City Hall, as Amon has announced that he was the Pro-Bending arena to be shut down.

The four of us go into the Council room to see the Council talking.

Dad stands up.

Tenzin: Korra, Y/N. You shouldn't be here. This is a closed meeting.

Korra: As the Avatar and a Pro-Bending playing I have a right to be heard.

Y/N: She's right, dad. You all need to here what she has to say.

Korra: You can't cancel the finals.

Tenzin: I know winning the Championship means alot to you, Korra. But as far as I'm concerned we need to shut the arena down.

Y/N: What about the rest of you? Tarrlok there's no way you're backing down from Amon, right?

He stands up.

Tarrlok: Actually, Tenzin and I agree for once.

Tenzin: The Council is unanimous, we're closing the arena.

Mako: No!

Bolin: You can't.

Korra: I don't understand. I thought you of all people would take a stand against Amon.

Tarrlok: While I am still committed to bringing that lunatic to justice, I will not put innocent lives at risk so that you and your friends can play a game.

We try to argue back, but it doesn't work.

It seems they won't change their minds.

Just then the gavel is broken in half.

We all look back to see Chief Beifong come into the room.

Lin: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the Avatar.

Y/N & Tarrlok: You do?

Korra: Yeah. You do?

Lin: I expected this kind of cut and run response from Tenzin, but the rest of you? Come on, show a little more backbone.

She comes forward.

Lin: It's time that the Benders of this city displayed some strength and unity against these Equalist's.

Tenzin: We must prevent the conflict between Bender's and Non-Bender's from escalating into all-out war. The Council is not changing it's position, Lin.

After this the Chief says she'll have her Metalbender's protecting the arena from the Equalist's

So with that the arena is gonna stay open and we're playing in the Championship.

Korra and I join dad outside the meeting room.

Beifong walks by and Korra tries to thank Lin, but she just walks away.

She sighs.

Korra: Man, what is her deal? Even when she's on my side she's still against me.

Korra looks to dad.

Tenzin: I've known Lin since we were children. She's always been... challenging.

Korra: What did your father do to make her hate the Avatar so much?

Tenzin: My father and Lin got along famously. I'm afraid her issues are with me.

Hearing dad say that makes it click in my head.

I gasp.

Y/N: No, I figured it out.

Korra: What?

I look to Korra.

Y/N: Ju.. Just listen.

I then look to dad.

Y/N: It all makes sense now. You and Beifong, Beifong and you. You two were a couple.

Tenzin: What? How... where'd you get that idea?

Korra: Actually it does make sense. Lin was the girl you dating before Pema. She told me you were in love with someone else before. It was Beifong.

Dad sighs.

Tenzin: Criminy. I'll have to have a word with her...

Y/N: So, mum stole you from Lin? That's interesting.

Korra: It is, isn't it? I'm surprised our esteemed Chief of Police didn't throw her in jail.

Tenzin: Oh, she tried. Anyway, Pema didn't "steal" me. Lin and I had been growing apart for some time. We both had different goals in life and...

He shakes his head.

Tenzin: Why am I even telling you two about this? It all happened a long time ago and we've both moved past it.

Korra: Apparently Beifong hasn't.

Tenzin: What do you...? Of course she has. Anyway, this is none of your business and that goes for you too, Y/N.

He starts to walk away.

Y/N: Okay. See you at home, Mr. Heartbreaker.

Korra and I both laugh as he walks away.

She and I walk to the exit together.

Korra: Just so you know, I don't think you're in any position to someone "Mr. Heartbreaker."

I sigh.

Y/N: Really?

Korra: I'm just saying... I mean Mako has told me some stories about the girls of your past.

Y/N: Of course he did.

Korra sighs.

Korra: So, Mako and Asami are together, huh?

Y/N: Yep.

Korra: He told me that you told him to go for it with her. I though you and her...

I shake my head.

Y/N: No, we're not. She and I just decided that we're not compatible in a romantic way.

Korra: Oh... okay.

We stop and face each other.

Y/N: It's okay though. She's not really my type anyway.

She looks at me.

Korra: Really?

Y/N: Yeah. I mean my type is more like....

She steps closer.

Korra: Like what?

Y/N: Well, I...

I hold Korra's hand and move closer to her.

Korra: (Whispers) Tell me, please.

I lean in to try and kiss her.

Just then the entrance door opens. This causes Korra and I to move apart.

We see Mako and Bolin come in.

Mako: Come on, guys. We gotta get back to the arena.

Bolin: Yeah, let's go!

The two leave.

Korra: Uh, so... we should go.

I clear my throat.

Y/N: Yeah, yeah. Okay.

We walk out to join Mako and Bolin.

The Fire Ferrets need to get back and train.

They've got the biggest match of their lives tonight.