Chapter 47: Meeting Opal

Y/N's P.O.V

So, Su has showed us around the place, though I've seen it before.

Eventually we see her daughter, Opal. She's sitting reading a book.

Suyin: And this is my daughter, Opal.

She looks up.

Opal: Wow. Avatar Korra.

She stands up.

Opal: I can't believe you're really here. You are so amazing.

Korra: It's great to meet you, Opal.

She looks at me.

Opal: And you're Air Master Y/N.

I smile.

Y/N: That's right. Nice to meet you, Opal.

I shake hands with her.

Opal: You too. It's an honor.

Bolin comes over.

Bolin: Opal? That's a beautiful name.

Opal: Thanks.

Bolin: I'm Bolin.

Opal: Opal, but you already knew that.

Beifong then comes over.

Lin: Great. We found the Airbender. Let's take her back to the airship and get out of here.

Suyin: And the woman apparently trying to abduct you is your aunt Lin.

Opal: Really? I've always wanted to meet you. My mum has told me so many stories about you.

Lin: I'm sure she has.

Suyin: So, I've set all of you up in the guesthouses, while Y/N trains Opal.

Y/N: Oh, I'm sorry, Su, but we were hoping she could train with the rest of the Airbenders at the Northern Air Temple. Plus, I've got a student who's enough of a handful.

I look at him.

Y/N: Right, Kai?

He sighs.

Kai: Yeah.

Suyin: Nonsense. This is where Opal's home and family are. You can train her here.

I sigh.

Y/N: Well, I guess I can help her get started with the basics.

Korra: Good idea. And I can help.

Lin: Absolutely not. We're leaving.

Korra: She's just a little worried because there's a bunch of crazy criminals after me.

Suyin: If you're concerned about security, don't be. This is the safest city in the world.

Y/N: She's right about that.

Suyin: Now, I'll see you all at dinner. My chef will blow the taste buds right out of your mouth.

Korra: Why do you have such a problem with your sister? She seems nice.

Lin just glares at her.

Korra: Come on, we can stay for a little while.

(Two hours later)

I'm now in the courtyard with Korra and Opal.

Y/N: Okay, let's see what you got.

Opal: I'm not very good.

Y/N: That's okay. I'm still new to being a teacher, so we're in the same boat. Just watch me.

I get into the correct stance and move around.

Y/N: Now, you wanna keep your elbows in, torso straight, feet just skimming the ground.

I stop.

Y/N: Why don't you try it with me?

She nods and goes to face me.

Opal and I start moving around each other and use airbending, letting wind spin around us.

Korra: Wow. That's pretty good, Opal.

She and I spin to face each other.

Y/N: She's right. You're a natural.

Opal: You really think so? Thanks.

After that we carry on doing more basic techniques.

(Three hours later)

So, we just had dinner and it was awkward to be honest.

Lin still isn't a fan of being here around her sister.

And Varrick is here too. Su took him in after he escaped from Republic City.

Right now Korra and I are in Su's office.

We look at the modal of the city.

Suyin: You two like that, huh?

We look up and see Su come into the room.

Y/N: Yeah, it's amazing.

Korra: It really is.

We sit down.

Suyin: You know, before I built this city, there was nothing here. I wanted to make my mark on the world.

Korra: It's amazing. Thank you for being so welcoming. And I'm sorry for how Lin's been acting.

Su sits down.

Korra: Can I ask, what happened between you two?

Suyin: It's complicated. We didn't have a normal childhood. Neither of us knew our father's and Toph was always busy being Chief of Police. Because mum grew up in such a strict house, she gave us all the freedom I'm the world, hoping we'd figure out our own paths.

Y/N: That sounds like a good thing. Then again I was created from spiritual energy, so what do I know?

Korra holds my hand.

Suyin: And in a way, it was. But we both ended up fighting for mum's attention. Lin followed in her footsteps and became a cop. I was more of a rebel. Mum wasn't too happy with how either of us turned out. When I was sixteen, I left home to explore the world. I sailed the seas on a pirate ship, joined a travelling circus and lived in a Sandbender Commune in the desert.

She sighs.

Suyin: It took me awhile, but I realised what I was looking for was a family. So, I bought this plot of land, found a brilliant architect who later became my husband and created a place I could truly call home.

Korra: It sounds like you've created the perfect life here.

Suyin: Almost. I've always wanted Lin to be apart of it, but I gave up hope long ago of her ever coming around.

Y/N: Makes sense. She's always been stubborn.

Suyin: Yes, she has. Though you aren't one to talk, Y/N.

I nod.

Y/N: Fair point.

After that Korra and I leave the office.

I look at her.

Y/N: I know that face. That's your idea face. What's your idea?

Korra: I think I can help Su and Lin make-up. I need to find Opal.

She kisses me on the cheek.

Korra: See you in a bit.

She runs off.

Y/N: Okay, bye.

I wonder what her plan is. Will it even work?