Chapter 75: Talking With Dad

Y/N's P.O.V

Korra, Asami and I have made it to the evacuee camp.

So many people lost their homes.

The three of us walk into the command centre tent.

Zhu-li is in charge, apparently.

Zhu-li: These evacuees have lost everything, so let's make them feel as comfortable as possible. I appreciate all of your help and I know the evacuees do too. Let's get to work!

We walk into the tent and everyone sees us.

Korra: Hi, everyone.

Y/N: Hey.

Everyone greets us and Ikki immediately rushes over to us.

Ikki: Tell us all about the Spirit World!

We go over to dad and aunt Kya.

The two of us greet us.

Kya: Welcome home, you two.

Tenzin: I hope you're both feeling refreshed from your well-deserved vacation.

Korra: We are.

Y/N: We're doing great, dad. How are things here?

Tenzin: We still have new evacuees returning everyday. The camp's bursting at the seams. Without Zhu-li whipping into shape. The situation would be much worse.

Korra and I wave to Zhu-li, she waves back to us.

Tenzin: Her leadership has been very impressive, which is more than I can say for President Raiko.

I sigh.

That doesn't surprise me, to be honest.

Y/N: Why? What's he done now?

Tenzin: Nothing! That's the issue. He's hasn't even bothered to come down here and see the problems firsthand. He's too preoccupied with his own re-election.

Korra: He's never been the most compassion guy.

Tenzin: Most people aren't happy he surrendered to Kuvira. At this point he's so unpopular, a flying Lemur could run against him and probably win.

Meelo rushes over.

Meelo: Yeah! Poki for President!

I chuckle and stroke Poki.

Asami: So, what can we do?

Kya: The evacuees I've spoken with are so grateful for what both Korra and Y/N did to save their city. I think an appearance from both of them would go a long way in lifting everyone's spirit's.

Tenzin: Great idea, Kya.

Korra and I look to each other, then back to them.

Korra: If you think it'll help, we're happy to meet some people.

Y/N: Yeah, it'd be good for them to know that we're still here to help them.

Asami: Well, while you two are doing that, I'll talk to Zhu-li and start working on some plans to get these people new homes.

Y/N: Good idea, Asami.

Tenzin: Okay. Come on, you two. Let's go.

We leave the tent with dad.

Korra and I look around as we walk with dad.

Korra: So many people have been displaced. It's heartbreaking.

A moment later evacuees surround us and thank us for everything we did.

Korra: Hello, everyone. I'm so sorry about what happened to all of you. I'd there's anything Y/N and I can do to be of service, please let us know.

Y/N: That's right. We're here to help you.

Everyone starts asking us for things all at once.

It's getting hard to hear them as more and more people talk.

Dad comes over.

Tenzin: Let's get you both out of here.

Korra: No, wait. I have an idea.

Korra uses Earthbending to lift us up above everyone.

Korra: Everyone, please listen! I feel for all of you. You've been through so much. And I'm sure you're tired, frustrated and angry that your homes and neighbourhood ls have been destroyed. This is a time of great change for all of us...

Y/N: It's a change for all of us in Republic City.

Korra and I nod to each other.

Korra: A wise man once told me that change can be good or bad, depending on your point of view.

Y/N: That means we can look at all of this as a chance for a new beginning.

Korra: We promise to work our hardest to make sure everyone have a place to live soon. My hope is that the rebuild Republic City will be full of new possibilities for all of us!

Y/N: Together, we can forge a bright future, living in balance with our planet, evolving into our best selves and becoming who we truly want to be.

They all start clapping.

Evacuees: Thank you, both! To the future!

After that we head back into the tent with dad.

Zhu-li sees us.

Zhu-li: Sounds like a visit from you two was exactly the evacuees needed.

Tenzin: Both Korra and Y/N know how to inspire a crowd. They inspired me too.

Korra: Now, we just have to figure out a way to make good on the promise we made to find all those people new homes.

Y/N: Yeah, people are gonna be pissed otherwise.

Zhu-li: It's funny you should say that. Asami just started drawing up plans for new housing developments.

We go and stans on either side of Asami.

Asami: The quicker we get people back to a sense or normalcy, the better.

Korra: Agreed. Want to show us what you've got in mind?

Asami: Of course.

Korra and I work with Asami.

Hopefully, we can get all the evacuees into new homes soon.